AnsweredAssumed Answered

Multi-User Versioned Workgroup GDB License

Question asked by hanidraidi on Oct 4, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 by jskinner-esristaff

I’ve installed ArcGIS Desktop, Microsoft SQL Server Express, and  database server WITHOUT installing ArcGIS Server. Then, I connected to the database server in ArcMap, and created a new geodatabase (a .mdf workgroup geodatabase) and created a feature class in it, registered it as versioned, and created some versions. I tested the whole versioning workflow, and it worked perfectly; all the versions were working well, and the reconcile/post process also went well.

Actually, I got confused about licensing this process, since according to ArcGIS Server functionality matrix, this process (multi user editing using versioned workgroup geodatabase) requires a basic-workgroup or standard-workgroup or advanced-workgroup license. My question is: if I just want to edit my data with my workgroup using a workgroup geodatabase WITHOUT publishing them via ArcGIS Server, should I purchase an ArcGIS Server license (for example the lightest one: Basic-Workgroup)? Or can I perform this with the desktop license only and the free SQL Server Express?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Outcomes