Utility GIS data as inventory for accounting in local government

Jump to solution
10-02-2015 04:51 PM
JeffBaker2
New Contributor III

Has anyone used their GIS utility data as an inventory for calculating a dollar value in a local government accounting system?  I've just finished converting our utility system (water, sewer, storm) into a GIS format, and we now have a very accurate inventory of our pipe system in terms of length, diameter, material, and age.  What we found is that our city has more pipe than we thought (about 1.5 times more), and consequently we suspect that we've been under-reporting the value of the assets.  Has anyone somehow valued their utility systems based on GIS data?

-Jeff

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AaronKreag
Occasional Contributor

From folks I have worked with in the past this is common, usually any attempt to clean or build a solid GIS data set ends up with a similar result.  Its common on the tax assessor side as often times properties exist or improvements made that are not recorded right if at all...resulting in an increase in tax revenue.  I would be interested to hear how you move through this exercise.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AaronKreag
Occasional Contributor

From folks I have worked with in the past this is common, usually any attempt to clean or build a solid GIS data set ends up with a similar result.  Its common on the tax assessor side as often times properties exist or improvements made that are not recorded right if at all...resulting in an increase in tax revenue.  I would be interested to hear how you move through this exercise.

0 Kudos
PeterGoodman2
New Contributor

As per Aaaron's comment, this is an actual and valid statement for the Assessors.

in our county a re-inventory (reassessment) of the real property found approximately 200 un mapped parcels and about 400 homes not on the rolls. The net result was a chunky $1.5 Mill. in additional revenue.

Such is the case with mapping in general. The ability to cross reference and then create workflows that include permitting, planning and zoning, utilities, etc., has brought up to date a lot of potential revenue for the county. We even found items that are assessed on the State level and they didn't know it was there.

0 Kudos
GeorgeHouck
New Contributor III

I know we use it for Bonding, Insurance calculations, and claims.

0 Kudos