Text limit in Shortlist template?

Jump to solution
09-30-2015 10:10 AM
SophiaLinn1
New Contributor II

In the Shortlist template, is there a text limit after clicking "Details" in the pop-up? We have the complete text in the .csv (which in some cases is somewhat long), so we're wondering if there's an internal limitation in the template. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Sophia,

Sorry about the problem, it is actually a bug on our side of things.  We are working on a fix and should have an updated release addressing this issue shortly.

Thanks,

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

HI

The text in the Details panel is divided into different text fields, i.e. Desc1, Desc2, Desc3 and we display the text in each of those as though it is one paragraph. These fields don't have a limit in their length.

There are two limits you might face though.

- If create your layer as a shapefile created in, say, ArcMap there is a 256 character limit to text fields, when you edit text fields. That's the reason we provide those multiple text fields in the Shortlist popup (so you can spread your long descriptions over multiple fields to avoid hitting the 256 character limit for any one field) and it is also the reason we don't recommend using shapefiles for Shortlist content if you want to be really wordy like I am in my descriptions (and forum posts!!).

- If you edit your long text fields via the ArcGIS Online web map viewer to add additional text to a field that is already long, there is a limit to how much longer it will let you make that text. So there is no limit (I know of) to how long the descriptive text in a feature service or CSV-based text field can be, but I have noticed that the ArcGIS Online web map viewer does not let me make my really long text fields any longer via editing the field. I'm not sure what the limit is. It lets me make edits to long text fields but doesn't like it if I try and add additional text into them. For this reason for maps with long descriptions I make my edits in the source file (e.g., Excel) that I use to create my CSVs  instead of making the edits in the web map viewer, and then upload the CSV into my web map again. (It is also easier to edit text in Excel because you can wrap the text around in the spreadsheet cells using the word wrap format and you can spell check it).

If the above info doesn''t help and your map is publicly accessible, could you share the URL of your Shortlist, or just the URL of the web map, so we can have a look. Or can you provide a screenshot to show what the exact issue you are facing is?

0 Kudos
SophiaLinn1
New Contributor II

Hi Rupert,

Thanks for your quick response! I forwarded it along to the person (Renee) who is actually managing that Story Map. Here's her response: I've tried to investigate the comments provided, but I'm not seeing the issue on my end.  Would you mind sharing the URL with him to see if he can help that way?  http://africacenter.colostate.edu/shortlistmap/

Thanks! I'm sort of the middleman (woman) on this one, but hopefully we can sort this out here. If not, can I put Renee in touch with you directly? (Or I'll have her try to login to GeoNet!)

0 Kudos
SophiaLinn1
New Contributor II

Hi again,

No need to put too much effort into solving this one. Renee is simply going to shorten the text that needs to be included! An elegant solution, indeed. Thanks for your help anyway!

0 Kudos
MarkCooney

Hi Sophia,

Sorry about the problem, it is actually a bug on our side of things.  We are working on a fix and should have an updated release addressing this issue shortly.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
MarkCooney

Sophia,

The updated release with the fix can be found here:

Release v1.4.6 · Esri/shortlist-storytelling-template-js · GitHub

-Mark

0 Kudos