Why could .mxd with no layers store SDE database connections?

09-30-2015 11:29 AM
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

I have an .mxd with one dataframe that used to contained layers with data source being Oracle 11g, 10.3 Geodatabase. Database credentials were not stored in those layers/.sde connections. As expected the user was prompted to enter credentials upon opening the mxd.

Now I remove all the layers, and the user is still prompted for credentials upon opening the .mxd file. This is unexpected behavior and I need to understand why this is happening (have many such .mxd files and it's a huge problem when the .mxd's actually do store passwords.)

I stripped everything I can find from the .mxd (toolbars, layout elements, etc.). Also have run .mxd Doctor and Defrangementer. The only way to avoid the prompt for credentials is to remove the dataframe. The .mxd was created in ArcMap 10.1, using ArcMap 10.3 instead seems to make no difference.

Any clues are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tobias

0 Kudos
18 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tobias,

Can you reproduce the same behavior if you use a new blank MXD from 10.3?

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you try doing a SaveAs to a new filename to see if the SDE connection information is then removed from the newly saved mxd?  If this works you can write a python script to automate this process by walking through the directories that contain your problematic mxds.

TobiasFimpel1

Hi Michael,

The issue persists even after I do "File"--> "Save As..." .

Thanks,

Tobias

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1

Hi Katie.

No, this does not occur with new, blank MXD's.

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger

Could there be a SDE table remaining in the map?  Change your Table of Contents to List By Source.

And if that doesn't work check out the data sources in the MXD through ArcCatalog's "Set Data Sources" thing.

TobiasFimpel1

Hi Randy,

No, there is not layer or table in the Table of Contents.

With ArcCatalog --> Set Data Sources I get the same information: no layers or tables in the mxd.

Thanks,

Tobias

MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Tobias -

How were the layers removed from the map document? Manually in the TOC or did you at one time use a tool such as set data source(s). ?

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1

Hi Melissa,

At one time I used arcpy.mapping replaceDataSource (workspace_path, workspace_type, {dataset_name}, {validate}) .

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Like Freddie said there are some defects that are logged regarding this behavior. In order to be associated with one you will need a reproducible workflow to present to support starting with a new map document. Keep us posted if you submit a support case!

Esri Support