*New* Desktop Entry Certification and other Certs

09-21-2015 02:34 PM
ThomasHumber
Esri Contributor

A recent article on GIS Assessments and Certification just appeared in the online version of Directions Magazine:  A Bold New World of GIS Assessment.

On a professional level, I see these as valid measures of knowledge attainment and technology understanding.  On a personal level, I have often wondered about the validity of the certification - especially in light of the ever changing technology.  Seeing the amount of people with GISP behind their name (I am not included in that number), I am curious what others may think about the growing number of technical and professional certifications.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thomas,

This is a very common question and something I think every prospective candidate weighs as they make the decision to become certified. I think you have identified the key though - there is a growing number of certifications available to professionals.  This growth is a result of an identified need in a constantly growing workforce to allow for knowledge and experience to be easily validated.  More employers are looking to certifications to identify qualified candidates as they build their teams.  Individuals are looking for opportunities to differentiate themselves within their existing organization or in the quest for new opportunities. Certification, technical or professional, allows for both groups to .  Ultimately the individual will need to determine if certification is the right choice for them.  I'd encourage you to join the Esri Technical Certification LinkedIn group as there is a regular conversation there with folks asking similar questions.

-Jessi