How do I use the Create Replica tool with existing data?

Jump to solution
09-18-2015 07:42 AM
BrandonKeinath1
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I'm in the process of testing geodatabase replication to support our ArcGIS Server team.  I've successfully made one-way parent to child replicas using the Distributed Geodatabase toolbar in ArcMap.  The parent database (XD02) contains versioned data with Global IDs.  The child database (XD01) contains the same data and is also verisioned and contains Global IDs.  Using ArcMap I'm able to select the "Register existing data" radio button but that option is not obvious to me when I use the tool.  I've attached a screenshot of the tool dialog.  When I run the tool I only get ERROR 000582.

Can anyone shed some light on what I might be doing wrong?

replica question.JPG

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
3 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

You can't use the tool for this.

It has to be done in ArcMap, using the Create Replica wizard from the Distributed Geodatabase toolbar.

Replicating distributed data with the register with existing data option | Support Services Blog

Replicas created with the option to register with existing data—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

BrandonKeinath1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Asrujit,

Thank you for the help and links.  I haven't used a geodata service before so I will need to some more research.  Our next step after synchronizing the data from XD02 (production) to XD01 (test) is to move schema changes from XD01 (test) to XD02 (production).  Would the same geodata service be used in both replicas or does that depend on the type of replica (one-way, two-way, etc.)?  Any more information you can give me would be useful.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

If its a Check-Out replica, once you Synchronize changes...the replica is deleted automatically.

Working with schema changes—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Exporting a replica schema—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Comparing replica schema—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Importing a replica schema—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

These links should give you a good understanding of the process you'll have to follow in case of Schema Changes.

0 Kudos