AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best model for serving raster data

Question asked by fallingdog on Sep 17, 2015
Latest reply on Sep 18, 2015 by jskinner-esristaff

I am wondering what would be the best model for serving our raster image data to our organization. We have web apps and ArcGIS desktop users consuming the data; however, the web apps and the desktop users need to have the data in different projections and on different datums. So, currently we have the image data in a cache on the server's local drive and a map service running off of this for the web apps. For the desktop users the data is in SDE/Oracle and consumed via layer file on a network drive. The image data is used for basemapping only. We have ArcGIS 10.1 server and desktop environments.

The options that I see are:

cached map service - made off a raster data set inside a gdb on the server's local drive

an image service - made off of mosaic data set inside a gdb on the server's local drive (requires ArcGIS Image extension)

a map service - made off a raster data set inside a gdb on the server's local drive

a cached image service - made off of mosaic data set inside a gdb on the server's local drive (requires ArcGIS Image extension)

I do not think that we have any use for the advanced features provided by an image service; Catalog, Download, Edit, etc. However, we do have the ArcGIS Image extension available to us.

ArcGIS: For sharing imagery | ArcGIS Resource Center

So, it looks to me like the best option for speed and simplicity would be a cached map service made off a raster data set inside a gdb on the server's local drive for both the web maps and the ArcGIS desktop users. I think we will still need two services, one for each projection, as we have had bad luck with re-projecting the data on the fly in the past. Then we can do away with loading the image data into SDE/Oracle. Does this sound right?

Outcomes