Why does my GP Service Crash ArcMap?

09-15-2015 07:16 AM
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

Hi.  Does anyone have any insight into why a particular, simple, GP service would crash ArcMap when I execute it?  The service performs a select on an uploaded shapefile and returns the selected features.  It publishes without errors, I don't see anything in the ArcGIS server log.  And other similar gp services work fine.   I'm stumped.  This one looks like the following.  I've recreated it a couple of times.  I've tried it with a query statement and without.

SelectModel.JPG

This is using AGS and ArcMap 10.3.1.

Oh, and it is fine when deployed in my sandbox environment, for what that's worth.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Try to put your server in higher log level (info, verbose) and see if you can get more information

MaryEllen_Perko

Thank you for the suggestion. There are no "Severe" or "Warning" messages. All other level messages use the word "successful" a lot so nothing is jumping out at me. But then, I don't necessarily know what to look for.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Mary,

In the geoprocessing service's properties, under Parameters, make sure the Message Level is set to Info. This will improve messaging on the service while it's running.

Additionally, when ArcMap crashes are you submitting a valid email address with the Error Report? This can help inform Esri of how the software is crashing, and if there is a patch or fix we can reach out to you with more information.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
MaryEllen_Perko

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have the messaging set to "Info".  And for what worth, these are the only messages generated when I execute the tool:GPServiceMessages.JPG

And regarding the valid email address, I've done so. 

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Mary,

The additional messaging should be on the client side, so when running your GP service through REST it will return information on what's happening, and in ArcMap we should see additional messaging in the Geoprocessing Results window. If possible, can you check Results to see if any previous sessions are listed? If so, what messages are there associated with this tool? If the results associated with the crash are not in the Results window, they should exist in your user profile (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.3\ArcToolbox\History). More information about geoprocessing history can be found here: http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/desktop/latest/analyze/executing-tools/history-log-files.htm

Another thing to attempt may be to disable background geoprocessing. It's not necessarily related, but I would like to see if this change gives us different results. This can be done by going to Geoprocessing>Geoprocessing Options and unchecking Enable Background Processing.

-Scott

0 Kudos
MaryEllen_Perko

Thank you so much for these other ideas for tracking down error messages.  For what it's worth, no messages exist in ArcMap after I reopen it after the crash.  And there are no files created in the ..\ArcToolbox\History afterthe tool executes/crashes.

And I tried it with background processing disabled and there was no difference.

Also, thanks for the idea of running the tool through the REST point - interestingly, messages indicate that the tool executed successfully.  And I can view the results json. 

I'll spend some time with that link you provided and see if I can get any more information.

Thanks again for the help.

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Mary,

Sorry those suggestions didn't provide some different results or more information. I have some other suggestions and things to consider after discussing this issue with a colleague.

Does this occur on all desktop machines running this GP service, or this one machine with this service? Could you verify that the drivers for your graphics card are up to date? When you execute the GP service, are you in a newly opened MXD or an existing one? Do you have any third party tools installed in this environment?

Thank you for sending the error report when the software has crashed. This file should also be stored locally (C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports), could you send one of the relevant error reports to me at sprindle@esri.com?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
MaryEllen_Perko

Hi.  Thank you so much for the continued help on this.

Before I answer your questions, I have tried two things that seem worth mentioning:

1. I converted the uploaded shapefile to a file geodatabase, didn’t change anything else, and published the gp service.  As a result, ArcMap no longer crashes but the output is empty.  And it shouldn’t be because I’m not actually selecting anything in the SELECT tool, so all features should be returned (and are when I execute the tool locally prior to publishing).

1. I deployed a another gp service that uses only the SELECT tool but uses a different shapefile and got the same ArcMap crash.  I then converted the data to a file geodatabase and deployed it and it also returns an empty dataset, but no crash.

Both of the data sets (as shapefiles) work fine when used with different tools, like "select by attributes" followed by "create feature class."

Also, we have a pretty distributed installation of AGS components so something could be misbehaving just about anywhere.

To answer your questions:

~ I've tried the tool on just one other machine and it crashed there as well.

~ I'll need to check on the graphics card, but other similar services have no problems and I've got a pretty good workstation that is configured for GIS development. 

~ I have executed the tool as the first thing I do after opening arcmap and it crashes.

~ I don't think I have 3rd party tools installed, but could you provide an example?

And yes, I'll send you one of the dmp files shortly.

Thanks again.

Edit:  Something else I'd like to mention - Because I was able to successfully retrieve features through the rest point, I added the gp service url to an agol web app builder GP widget and the tool works just fine.  I don't know what that means, but thought it might be important.

0 Kudos