jason.tipton.gis

PSA: ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 Service crashes at startup even after re-install-- Network Share

Discussion created by jason.tipton.gis on Sep 15, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 by jrflannery

When you delete the config files from an ArcServer, usually it gives you the "Create New Site" Wizard, but if you delete a network share, the service will fail at startup.

You can try uninstalling the software and re-installing it, but it doesn't work. There's a reference left behind to that network share. To remedy this situation, you will need to

1. Re-create the same exact network share. It's fine that it is empty.
  2. Re-start the ArcServer Service (on all machines in the site)
    • It looks like at this exact moment, you can delete the network share as it has erased the pointer to the config files

3. Create a new site (doesn't have to use the same network share)

Why am I using a network share to put my config files?

The network share is local to one of the servers and it is a multi-machine site. Multi-machine sties require a network share and you cannot use references like \\server\d$\storage

What should the software do?

At minimum, it should clean up on re-install. It should also either, throw the ArcGIS Setup Wizard OR,

a new page, that says:

"Hey, we noticed that the network share '//server/share' is unavailabe. You may want to make sure that server is running and that the network share is being currently shared. Or, if you would rather, let's create a new site!"

Then, if the server was down, when you boot it back up, it would go on about being ArcServer.

It should definitely not just crash and burn like it does. Just put a check for missing network shares....

What happens if I'm not in a virtual environment and one of my servers crashed and I can't just spawn a new one real quick? How do I get my site back up?!?!

Hopefully ESRI will tell you where that pointer is so that you can delete it.

According to Daniel Urbach, delete the files, not folders in <installation path>/server/framework/etc. This will delete the references to the config store.

More specifically, from my experience now, you can delete the <installation path>/server/framework/etc/config-store-connection.xml file. This file actually contains the reference to the config store and if it is not present, ArcServer will present you with the "New Site" wizard.

Outcomes