Spatial Analyst in Municipal GIS?

09-15-2015 01:29 PM
AlexBullen1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all, I'm about to activate a trial for the Spatial Analyst extension for our municipal GIS, and I want to get as much use out of it as possible while the trial is active. So my question is, what have you municipal/county/state GIS folks used Spatial Analyst for?

Our GIS is a mostly public works-oriented setup but we do have layers for zoning, open space, trails, 2-ft contours, traffic counts, traffic accidents, to name a few.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeCusi

It would be easier to go and take one of the free online courses available. Highly recommended. Esri Training | Turning Data into Information Using ArcGIS 10.0.​ You would probably be able to see what 'could' you use it for.

Cheers,

Mike

AlexBullen1

I've removed the "what could it be used for" sentence because I'm definitely more interested in cases of "we use Spatial Analyst regularly!" than in an overview of GIS tools and potential uses.

If this helps, the problem I'm looking to solve with this extension is calculating the slopes of our roads feature class using a 2-ft elevation feature class, and converting those slopes to grades. I can do this manually, but it'd be more accurate to auto-generate it instead, and as I understand it Spatial Analyst is the way to do it.

There are some great workshops in there.

0 Kudos
MikeCusi

Yes indeed Alex. All those calculations you can do with Spatial Analyst and if you do it on a fairly regular basis and in varying localities, you can even set up some model builder tools to semi-automate the process. And as Chris​ mentions below there are also a lot of tools in there that can help you better visualize your data.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If nothing else, Hillshades!  It can really help make your aerials "pop" by adding a good hillshade.

Viewshed analysis' are another one to do.  A concern that comes up on some projects is just how visible a new structure will be, so running a Viewshed can help the Planners and public get a sense of where there is a potential visual impact.

As Mike mentions, taking a class can be very helpful in seeing what is possible.  Also, given the time constraint you have, I would line up the data before turning it on, as sometimes it can take some time to track down a good Digital Elevation Model (DEM) or other elevation data.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you are doing the slope profile determinations manually and would like to quasi-automate that the 3D analyst has some nifty profile tools.  They are particularly handy if you just need to get a gradient/slope for a particular road segment, park slope etc etc. If your municipality has a a good quality dem then you will appreciate it

Profile Tool Options—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Using the interactive Terrain Point Profile tool—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

and more generally

Understanding the 3D Analyst toolbar options—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos