FeatureLayer source for LabelLayer

Jump to solution
09-09-2015 01:07 PM
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I have featureLayer that is loaded as a FeatureServer so I can add features to it.  Adding to the featureLayer through applyEdits adds graphics to this layer.  I'd also like this layer to be a source for my LabelLayer, so the features I'm adding have a label based on CITY attribute I'm populating.

When I first add the feature to my layer, the text label appears as expected.  However, once I pan, the label changes from the CITY attribute to appearing as 'undefined'.

The CITY attribute is present in layer, I can see it in ArcCatalog, so I know it has values.

app.bufferLayer = new FeatureLayer(config.pathName + "/arcgis/rest/services/bufferAnalysis/FeatureServer/0" ,{
        id:"bufferLayer"}
      )

var textColor = new Color("#FF0000");
        var cityText = new TextSymbol();
        cityText.setColor(textColor);
        cityText.font.setSize("7pt");       
        var cityLabelRenderer = new SimpleRenderer(cityText);
        cityLabelLayer = new LabelLayer({ 
          id: "cityLabels"
        });

cityLabelLayer.addFeatureLayer(app.bufferLayer, cityLabelRenderer, "${CITY}");
      app.map.addLayers([featureLayer,cityLayer,app.bufferLayer,app.graphicsLayer,cityLabelLayer]);  

The is based on the example Select with Feature Layer | ArcGIS API for JavaScript , but instead of just a graphic added to the map, I want to save the circle I'm generating, along with the summary statistics as a new feature in my featureLayer.  It seems like my edits are getting applied, but I don't understand why the labels first appear, then disappear.    Is this not a valid use of labelLayer?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I see what I did wrong.  You have to have some outFields specified in your FeatureLayer definition or this doesn't work.  I always think the default is outFields:['*'], but the default is no fields get returned.

app.bufferLayer = new FeatureLayer(config.pathName + "/arcgis/rest/services/DPS/VetComm_bufferAnalysis/FeatureServer/0" ,{

id:"bufferLayer",

outFields:['*']

}

)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I see what I did wrong.  You have to have some outFields specified in your FeatureLayer definition or this doesn't work.  I always think the default is outFields:['*'], but the default is no fields get returned.

app.bufferLayer = new FeatureLayer(config.pathName + "/arcgis/rest/services/DPS/VetComm_bufferAnalysis/FeatureServer/0" ,{

id:"bufferLayer",

outFields:['*']

}

)