Icons are red X's

Jump to solution
09-08-2015 10:44 AM
JohnWhitfield
New Contributor II

My Icon's are red X's, anyone know what I have done wrong here?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi John,

Looks like all those icons aren't publicly accessible. I tried to paste the URL below in my browser address bar and got a "page cannot be found" error and you can see all the "resource failed to load" errors in the browser dev tools:

http://www.pbcgov.com/pzb/Planning/ActiveAmend/map/resources/images/icons/green/NumberIcong2.png

Can you check that those image URLs are correct and that folder and its contents are *publicly* accessible on your web server?

I didn't see a header logo or any errors for loading a logo image. Is that still in the app?

Owen

2015-09-08 at 2.48.22 PM.JPG

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi John,

Sorry you are having trouble. It sounds like your icon links are broken or the icon files aren't publicly accessible.

Could you please provide a little more information so I can help you troubleshoot your issue?

• Which story map app are you using?
  • Are you creating a story map on arcgis.com or did you download the app code and host it yourself?
  • Which icons are red Xs? Default map pins, a map symbol you added, your organization's logo, something else?

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
JohnWhitfield
New Contributor II

Thank you Owen,

It is a Shortlist map, created on our server. The icons are related to the map pins i belived, i tried to change the symbology but nothing works

Many thanks!

http://www.pbcgov.com/pzb/Planning/ActiveAmend/map/

PS, also the header logo show up fine in Explorer but not in Chrome...any way to fix that ?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi John,

Looks like all those icons aren't publicly accessible. I tried to paste the URL below in my browser address bar and got a "page cannot be found" error and you can see all the "resource failed to load" errors in the browser dev tools:

http://www.pbcgov.com/pzb/Planning/ActiveAmend/map/resources/images/icons/green/NumberIcong2.png

Can you check that those image URLs are correct and that folder and its contents are *publicly* accessible on your web server?

I didn't see a header logo or any errors for loading a logo image. Is that still in the app?

Owen

2015-09-08 at 2.48.22 PM.JPG

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
JohnWhitfield
New Contributor II

Thanks Owen, I checked and there is no 'Icons' folder on out web under the images folder. I went back and discovered why, there is no 'icons' folder in the 1.4.4 download. I went back to the 1.4.2 download and saw however that there is a icons folder as well as some other .png's that are also missing from the 1.4.4 download. Do you recommend that I re-install the 1.4.2 download?  the reason we went to the 1.4.4 was to fix a problem with labelling a layer that was not working (if you see my other discussions) that didn't work either and so we still cannot label the roads and now some new problems.

thank you for your help, hope we can get this fixed !

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi John

Your Shortlist works OK in our generic hosted test instance:

http://storymaps.esri.com/templates/shortlist/?webmap=9961ade08c4849dba4218442e9b5d352

I suspect that in your installation of the Shortlist you have not included the resources/images/ folder which contains all the marker symbols the app requires. That would also explain why the loading animation is not present. I would download the app again and put it into your server again.

0 Kudos
JohnWhitfield
New Contributor II

Thanks Owen,

Yes indeed the latest version I downloaded was missing the files from the resources folder so I updated the folder from an older version and it is now working! thanks.

Can you help me on the other subject, whenever I turn the labels on for the roads layer the map crashes and will not load. One of your folks looked at the issue and advised me to download the new version but it has the same bug. Should I open a new thread? thanks again!

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi John,

No need to add a new thread on that. We are looking into that issue via your earlier post and we still owe you a reply on that.

Rupert

0 Kudos
JohnWhitfield
New Contributor II

Thank you!!

0 Kudos