Editing issue with implementing Collector App for multiple agency ESRI group.

09-04-2015 12:03 PM
PhilBeilin1
Occasional Contributor

Our multi-agency Public Safety group has greated an ESRI AGOL group to share applications and data with each other.  Issue we've noticed, is that when we are using a shared (shared between members of this group) WFS, to compile damage data between our different agencies through the collector app, is that a user from the other agency (though part of the same ESRI sharing group), cannot edit the data.  They can select and see the data, but the option to edit does not show up when they click on the feature of interest, like it does for me, who created the point feature.  The wfs and map are both set to allow all editing for members of that group.  Any ideas if this this possible within the same shared wfs between members of different agencies with their own organizational accounts, but also members of the same ESRI group?  They are typically user status.

thanks

Phil

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The Collector app only supports collecting and editing data coming from an ArcGIS Server Feature Service or Hosted Feature Service. If you are using a feature service and some users are not seeing the options to edit existing features it could be due to ownership based access enabled on the service. This is will restrict users of the service to be able to only edit features that they created and they will not be able to edit or delete features that they do not own.

0 Kudos
PaulDoherty2
Occasional Contributor III

Russell Roberts​ -

Thanks for getting back to us! This is an important capability for Public Safety Users.

I will check with Phil to confirm but I believe he is using a hosted feature service with editing enabled and proper permissions. Here is the situation as it was described to me.

Phil belongs to Organization A.

Fire Captain belongs to Organization B.

Phil creates an ArcGIS Online Group and invites the Fire Captain to it, who accepts the invitation.

Phil creates a feature service and shares it with Organization A and the Group. Phil creates a web map with the feature service and shares both web map and feature service into the Group.

When Phil or other members of Organization A access the web map, they can edit in the viewer and Collector.

When Fire Captain from Organization B accesses the web map, he can view it, but cannot edit.

@Phil_Belin - can you confirm this is the case?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I did a quick test with this workflow on iOS and couldn't reproduce this issue.

Couple things to check out

-The layer allows updates/edits. If its an Add only layer it will not allow updates. The owner of the layer can still add this to a map in the map viewer with full editing enabled but its only exposed to the owner that full editing is enabled.

-Make sure Ownership based access control is disabled. If any features in the map have creator info then the creator is the only one that can edit and delete the features. You can still have editor tracking enabled with ownership based access disabled.

0 Kudos
PhilBeilin1
Occasional Contributor

Yes that is correct. All web feature services are configured to allow full editing/delete/modify to all members of the shared ESRI group we are both members of.  The map itself is similarly configured to allow appropriate access to group members. We are currently wondering if there are configuration settings for each invited member of the group that may not be set the same. So a setting I'm unclear about is if upon an administrator inviting another agency person to the shared group, if there needs to be some configuration appropriate to allow full editing capability.  Currently the other member can add delete his own data to the same web feature service as me, but does not have editing capabilities.  Is this possible?

0 Kudos
PhilBeilin1
Occasional Contributor

So I think tech supports solution worked to flush out what might have been a ghost editing parameter setting:

I took each of the damage web feature services:

Turned the bottom option on to only allow the creator of the file to edit.  Saved the setting, then unchecked the setting and saved to allow everyone in the group to edit it.  This seemed to clear up the problem.

My colleague, who shares the esri group that were in can now edit the collector app damage points that I have created.  IE, it has allowed others in the group to have full editing capability, such as adding additional attachments to a point, which previously was unavailable.

Thanks to everyone who offered ideas to fix this.