Display super-imposed lines next to each other (ArcGIS)

Jump to solution
09-04-2015 03:32 AM
JohannesUhl1
New Contributor II

Do you know whether it is possible to make ArcGIS to display super-imposed lines next to each other?

This is my sitaution: I have one layer with lots of buslines between german cities. All the lines have Now I want to create a sort of busline-plan with ArcGIS.

For an example:
bild.JPG
In the picture you can see a small part of the line-network. The dark green line an the yellow line show, what problem I actually have. It is exactly as it should be, except bettween the two cities "Aalen" an "Nuernberg". There it looks like, if there would be only the dark green line. In reality there the yellow line ist also running between the two cities, but its in the background - so you can´t see it. My perferenced result would look for example like this - the lines run next to each other:
bild2.jpg

There are mor than 200 lines in my network, so it isn´t possible to change the start-, end- and between-points manually.

I already tried lots of options, but none worked

Thank you very much for ideas,

Johannes

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CliffMwando2
New Contributor II

Have you considered using 'Offset' values when symbolising the lines? you could do left / right offest on the superimposed route by by variying magnitude 0 1 3 5  etc Here is what you  could do it:

1. Symbolise your route line layer by Category using the attribute holding colour i.e green / yellow

2. Then for each colour symbol, go Symbol Selector > Edit Symbol > Line Properties > Offeset ( where you can then set the offset values , which can be positive / negative numbers )

View solution in original post

3 Replies
CliffMwando2
New Contributor II

Have you considered using 'Offset' values when symbolising the lines? you could do left / right offest on the superimposed route by by variying magnitude 0 1 3 5  etc Here is what you  could do it:

1. Symbolise your route line layer by Category using the attribute holding colour i.e green / yellow

2. Then for each colour symbol, go Symbol Selector > Edit Symbol > Line Properties > Offeset ( where you can then set the offset values , which can be positive / negative numbers )

JohannesUhl1
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for your answer!
Is it possible to add the offset in an already existing shapefile? And if yes, what tool (ArcGIS 10.3) should I use to do this?

0 Kudos
JohannesUhl1
New Contributor II

Great! It works perfect. Thank you so much!