Removing stripes from Landsat 7 SLC OFF images

Jump to solution
09-03-2015 05:27 AM
LauraDoughty
New Contributor

I am currently trying to find a way of removing the stripes left from the SLC sensor malfunction on Landsat 7. Is there a realtively quick and simple way of filling the 'no data' stripes in ArcGIS?

I will be using the images for land classification on scenes taken between 2002 and 2013, so using images from other satellites is not an option.

I would appreciate any assitance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NICOLAPEDDIS
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Laura, the last link is still working

gapfil_AG9x_10x.rar — RGhost — file sharing

Check the 2 pdfs if you have problems with the tool.

Here

EarthExplorer

you can download the new landsat v8 data for free.. You need only to register an account

I uploaded the free idl version of the tool. It's a x86 application, but is still good

external link here

MEGA

To start the tool, double click on frame_and_fill_win32.exe.

For more info read the read.txt file..

View solution in original post

13 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If you have access to the Spatial Analyst Extension, one possibility is to recalculate the No Data areas to a different value using CON:

Conditional Evaluation with Con

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Con (Spatial Analyst) tool

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

One caveat - doing so will universally change all No Data areas, so check to see if there are areas where No Data will still be appropriate.  If that is the situation, there will be other process steps needed to limit the area that is recalculated.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Chris, your links go nowhere, Rebecca proposed how to fix them (can't find the link) or just use 10.3 links they are 99% the same as 10.2

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I'll try using the 10.3 links from now on.  Not sure why the 10.2 ones don't seem to work anymore....

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

If you have access to ENVI​, the user contributed Landsat gapfill tool​ is very good at filling the gaps. The tool covers the three USGS gap fill methods​:

1. single image triangulation interpolation
  2. two image global histogram matching
  3. two image local histogram matching

The two image methods require two SLC-Off scenes, one to be filled and one to fill with. I try to stick to scenes from the previous or next cycle but that's not always possible due to cloud.

The 3rd method "two image local histogram matching" is the most computationally expensive, but produces by far the best results.

Before:

le70910802012121asa00.jpg

After local histogram matching and pansharpening:

landsat7_15m_2012-05.jpg

NICOLAPEDDIS

You can also take a look here at the main NASA/USGS project

Filling the Gaps to use in Scientific Analysis

video on youtube

Gap fill Landsat 7 - SLC off project - YouTube

data here

SLC_off project.rar - Google Drive

And here external link to download the arcgis 9/10 toolbox

SLC_off project.rar — RGhost — file sharing

Take a look also at these good tutorials here

Integrated Geospatial Education and Technology Training Project

LauraDoughty
New Contributor

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your response. I am having trouble getting the SLC_off project toolbox into ArcGIS. Could you talk me through how to do it?

Regards,

Laura

0 Kudos
NICOLAPEDDIS

Laura, you need the original mask image file to blend with the SLC_off image form the ETM+7 band. In the same way it work in Envi

0 Kudos
LauraDoughty
New Contributor

Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear I can’t actually get the toolbox into ArcGIS using the download from the link you provided (SLC_off project.rar — RGhost — file sharing <https://community.esri.com/external-link.jspa?url=http://rghost.net/6zRRxJTpB> ) Do I need to save it in a particular place? And what is the process for adding it to the ArcGIS toolbox?

Thanks,

Laura

0 Kudos
NICOLAPEDDIS

Laura, in the archive are present 2 toolboxes, one for arcgis 9.x and one for arcgis 10.x, 2 pdfs.

Now seeing the old archive i forgot to add the 2 toolboxes..

Here a fresh new external link complete

gapfil_AG9x_10x.rar — RGhost — file sharing

Sorry for the troubles