Flickering Issue / jagged model issue:

09-02-2015 08:01 AM
JasonPietka
New Contributor

When I import my OSM file into CE it is not at the scenes origin.  If I move it there the shapes get all jacked up and if I generate models from them they are jagged.

If I leave the streets where the OSM is imported my FBX import into Maya and other software is jagged and flickering.

Whats the deal here???

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III

I assume this is because CE understands spatial references whereas Maya does not.  So CE understands how to handle data that is a long way from the origin, and sets up the scene accordingly, but Maya does not.

There is a 'Global Offset' option on the FBX export I think this should help fix the problem when you load into Maya (it's been a while since I did this)

0 Kudos
JasonPietka
New Contributor

What do I enter into the "global offset" option to fix it?

0 Kudos
BenLeslie1

You want to use values that will offset your model so it appears at approx 0,0 in Maya.  So, click on one of your street graph objects and open up the Vertices section in the Inspector.  Try using the negative of the values of one of the vertices as the offset.....

Fingers crossed....

0 Kudos
JasonPietka
New Contributor

There has to be an easier way than that.  So I will have to do this for every object?

0 Kudos
BenLeslie1

No, unless I misunderstand your question you only need to set the offset once.

Every object should be offset by the same value otherwise they will not maintain their positions relative to one-another.

The offset does not have to be anything specific - just something to get your model close to 0,0 in Maya - infact you may want to round the values so they are easier to recall should you need to refer to them later.  Picking a vertex is just a way to get a value.

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler

CLICK on the center button in the export window.

It will calculate the offset to the cartesian origin ..

Matt

Matthias Buehler

Environment Developer Lead

Scanline VFX

Vancouver, CA

0 Kudos
JasonPietka
New Contributor

I will try it next time I need to use it.

0 Kudos