Can a Web App Be Navigated in Journal?

Jump to solution
09-01-2015 02:11 PM
MarthaSelig1
New Contributor II

I have added an Esri web app to my journal as a web page but cannot find a way to position the map for each section. So far as I can tell, none of the built-in methods for using a web map are accessible to a web app, including the goto function. Is there any alternative to producing a different web app for each section? We want some of the features the web app offers, such as layer toggling.

Does the web app take any arguments other than id? I tried lat & long as well as x & y. Web app ignored these but the journal wouldn't load the web app.

Thanks in advance,

Martha

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Martha,

There was a recent blog post about the URL parameters supported by ArcGIS Online configurable apps.

However, if you are just using another app to provide layer toggling, I'd strongly recommend that you consider adding the web map to your Map Journal and using Main Stage Actions to manipulate the map for your readers. Main Stage Actions don't require any additional user interface controls (like a layer list, basemap selector, etc.) that might clutter your journal or confuse your readers. They allow you to integrate the control of the map into the words of your story.

Just highlight some text and click the Change Main Stage Content button to configure an action. Actions can turn layers on/off, zoom to a location, or make a specific feature's pop-up appear. You can even switch to a different web map or change the main stage from one type of content to another (map to image, video to map, image to web page, etc.).

Actions can help you use a single web map to tell many different parts of your story.

2015-09-02 at 12.12.36 PM.JPG

Hope this is helpful!
Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Martha,

There was a recent blog post about the URL parameters supported by ArcGIS Online configurable apps.

However, if you are just using another app to provide layer toggling, I'd strongly recommend that you consider adding the web map to your Map Journal and using Main Stage Actions to manipulate the map for your readers. Main Stage Actions don't require any additional user interface controls (like a layer list, basemap selector, etc.) that might clutter your journal or confuse your readers. They allow you to integrate the control of the map into the words of your story.

Just highlight some text and click the Change Main Stage Content button to configure an action. Actions can turn layers on/off, zoom to a location, or make a specific feature's pop-up appear. You can even switch to a different web map or change the main stage from one type of content to another (map to image, video to map, image to web page, etc.).

Actions can help you use a single web map to tell many different parts of your story.

2015-09-02 at 12.12.36 PM.JPG

Hope this is helpful!
Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
MarthaSelig1
New Contributor II

Thank you, Owen! I just needed the right argument names and formats. The journal will open the map correctly where I want it to and I should be able to implement the automatic pop-up piece as well.

The journal covers the major planning efforts across our county and therefore contains a lot of planning related layers: zoning, land use policy, and various special district overlays. While I am using the main stage actions to a limited extent, it doesn't sound like an efficient way to create the interactive experience we are hoping to achieve.

I'm going to see where I can go with this.

Martha

0 Kudos