type mismatch: 'esri_8'

08-25-2015 10:05 AM
MatthewUpchurch
New Contributor II

I am trying to run the VBScript 'round' function using the field calculator on a column for a numeric field that contains a large number of rows (> 500k).  When I run the code on a subset of the field (~100 rows), it runs perfectly fine, but when I try to run it on the entire table I get the subject error. It says 'there was an failure during processing, check the geoprocessing results window for details'.  Does anyone know what could be causing this?

This is an annotation feature class that I would like to keep in the ArcMap environment while editing to avoid having to import it back.

my code is: Round([TextString], 1)

The feature class is currently in a file geodatabase for testing purposes and then I will run it in SDE, ArcMap 10.2.2, Sql-Server, Windows 7 64-bit SP1.

Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks.

2 Replies
MatthewUpchurch
New Contributor II

I figured out eventually that I was getting this error because within the large annotation data set, there were characters that were not numbers (ex. ', !, #, etc.) and it was therefore throwing that error. User error!

ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you for sharing, because one of the items that I have seen the most with new users that I work with in my office is that they will try to load a spreadsheet or they have loaded the spreadsheet and all ready created a shapefile and they will have added special characters to the field names.  Generally, it is OK for the creating of the shapefile, but the problem arises when they try to run a geoprocess.  Many of the tools still do not allow special or reserved characters.  Glad you were able to find the problem, and share the answer with everyone.