ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 - There is an during the draw

08-25-2015 04:42 PM
MatthewRyan2
New Contributor III

I'm getting an error every 3-5 weeks on my ArcGIS server and I can't find an questions/articles anywhere which talk about this error in regards to ArcGIS server. The error is similar to below:

"There is an error drawing the layer: <INSERT LAYER NAME HERE>"

Which is, in the same second, followed by the error:

"There is an error during the draw <INSERT LAYER NAME HERE>(1.) General function failure [<INSERT SOURCE DATATABLE NAME HERE>]"

I'm not sure what is going on here. If I restart the server these services all work again and everything is fine for quite some time. I can't pinpoint exactly when things started to go wrong but this problem never happened in previous versions of Arc Server. If I open the originating MXD then everything is drawing fine as well.

I must note that the services which are failing have the maximum number of instances running as shown in Arc Catalog and the ArcGIS sever manager web page.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SarahNoakes1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Matthew,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Cheers,

Sarah Noakes

Cornwall Council

0 Kudos
MatthewRyan2
New Contributor III

Hi Sarah,

Indeed I did. It turned out that the ArcGIS box had failing hard drives so some of the disk was corrupt and not readable/writeable. It was as if bits and pieces of the ArcGIS server would continue to fail until the server finally kicked the bucket. On a new server now and everything works better.

On another note I've had issues after the security guys have installed patches and rebooted ArcGIS without notifying us. ArcGIS Server actually starts all the services that were running when it shut down and it can be stressful on the server. That meant a couple services didn't start and required manual intervention to get them back online.

Hope that helps