Does nliu's TOC widget support field aliases?

Jump to solution
08-24-2015 08:57 AM
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I have a layer that uses a field name AlertStatusCode that appears in the TOC this way, even after I have this field an alias of 'Alert Status'.  I assumed the widget would look for a field alias and use it instead of the actual field name if it found one. 

Does anyone have experience with this?    Changing the field name in the data is not an option.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

You've replicated my results.  I'd say if you include a FeatureLayer in your TOC that's based on a field with an alias, then the output uses the actual field name and not the alias. 

I could load it as a dynamicmapservicelayer instead, but I want to do things like have an infoTemplate and do selections, which I find easier with a featurelayer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How is the field being displayed in your TOC? I'm not seeing any field information in my implementation of the TOC.

This is the TOC from the mxd

mxd.png

And this is the TOC on my site

TOC BUIS.png

0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

In my map it looks like this:

And in my TOC it looks like this:

I don't care about having the field name shown, if styling it to be hidden is an option.  I think I have the most recent version of the TOC.  I downloaded it 11/2014. 

When I inspect the element, It falls underneath the agsjsTOCRootLayerLabel (Alerts) I don't know if I can take advantage of teh data-dojo-attach-point or not.  It doesn't seem to have any class that I can maniplate.

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'm also using the latest version. I'm not getting any information for that particular node.

toc_node.png

What is the code you're using to initialize the TOC?

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The other thing could be the service itself. This is what my legend looks like on there (in /MapServer/legend).

service_legend.png

0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

It looks OK from the service, which is why I was surprised it wasn't right in the TOC.  I am loading Alerts as a featureLayer, but not applying a renderer to it.     I suppose I could apply a uniqueValueRenderer to it, but that seems like the long way to go about this.  These are all secure layers as well, but that doesn't seem like something that would affect the design of the layer.

I'm creating it like this:

// ---- populates the Table of contents --------

app.map.on("layers-add-result", function (event) {

try {

var toc = new TOC({

map: app.map,

layerInfos: [{

layer:app.alertLayer,

title:"Alerts"

}, {

layer: buildingLayer,

title: "Buildings"

},{

layer: staffLayer,

title: "ITSD staff"

}, {

layer:regionLayer,

title: 'EUS Regions'

}]

}, 'tocDiv');

toc.startup(); 

} catch (e) {

console.log(e.message);

}

});

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It looks like the TOC handles FeatureLayers differently. When I add my service as a FeatureLayer, I now get the field information as the original field name (this service has a field alias, also). I was adding it in as a Dynamic Service.

TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

You've replicated my results.  I'd say if you include a FeatureLayer in your TOC that's based on a field with an alias, then the output uses the actual field name and not the alias. 

I could load it as a dynamicmapservicelayer instead, but I want to do things like have an infoTemplate and do selections, which I find easier with a featurelayer.

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Or better yet, the option to include or exclude this in the legend.