ArcSDE layers does not draw but can be selected

08-24-2015 07:06 AM
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello

We have some strange layer in ArcSDE (Oracle11g, ArcSDE 10.1) that does not draw on screen without any error message (single symbol).

When you select the features the selected features is drawn in the selected color only.

The attribute table looks fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Try rebuilding the Spatial Index.

Export that layer to a File gdb and check if that behaves the same there.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
  • What geometry storage format is used?
  • What entity types does the table support?
  • How many total features in the layer?
  • What layer metadata exists for the table?
  • Are there any messages is the connection/direct connection logfiles?
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi all

I have tried to rebuild indexes - it did not worked.

We have the problem with a few layers. Most of them are polyline layers in st_geometry with a few hadreds features.

There are some messages in the logs when you try to select but no error about the drawing.

What do you mean by metadata? - there are about 30 attributes from diffrent types.

Thanks

Mody

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try exporting it into a new feature class, and check if the issue still persists.

Think Location
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Messages about selection are messages about drawing -- Nothing is drawn if it isn't successfully queried first.

Layer metadata includes envelope, coordinate reference, supported entity flags,...

The idea is to give us enough information to help find the problem.  The level of detail which is likely needed to solve this indicates that you should contact Tech Support.

- V

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I've seen similar problems posted before in the forums but haven't been able to find the threads.

Summary of issue: features are not drawn in ArcMap, but if you select them in the attribute table (maybe also by drawing a selection box?), the selection graphics do draw.

Mody, could there be a reference scale set on the layers?

Ah, I was using a ill-formed search. Here's a similar issues:

Features in Shapefile Don't Display in ArcMap But Exist in Attribute Table

Melita

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

After some more testing it looks like Oracle does not always return the same results on this table.

When you query for drawing it return one result, when you query for attribute table it return different results.

They have some complex security setting, they will have to test it some more.

Thanks

ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Does the same thing happen if you load the layer into a blank map with no other layers loaded?

0 Kudos
WilsonCalmon
New Contributor III

Hi my friends,

I have the same question than Mody did back to 2015...

---

I have a layer in ArcSDE (Oracle11g, ArcSDE 10.1) that does not draw on screen without any error message.

When you select the features from "Attribute Table" and click on "Zoom To Selected" the selected features is drawn in the selected color only, I mean: It is drawn only boarding of polygons as attached picture (have a look below).

The attribute table looks fine.

--

I have exported that layer to a shapefile and for my surprise ALL features have been drawed fine. For shapefile there is no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

SDE Layer does not drawn in ArcMap or ArcCatalog

0 Kudos