AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to represent points stacked on top of each other

Question asked by mac3b3 on Aug 21, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 by Dan_Patterson

I have geocoded some addresses but unfortunately my source only had zip codes available. There are ~20,000 individuals so this means that there are a lot of points stacked on top of each other. This makes it look like there are less points then there are and the map looks unnatural/too uniform.

There are two methods I thought about using to solve this. The first was make dots appear larger the more they are stacked on top of each other. I believe this would mean I would have to find the frequency of each zip code and then geocode only the zip codes. I not a huge fan of this since I haven't used this technique on my other maps.

My second option was use the disperse technique. I got it to work once didn't like the results attempted to change some options but it keeps telling me my layer file does not have representations. Even though I am 100% certain I used the add representations options on the file.

Any thoughts on how to best represent my points or how to get the disperse option working?

Thanks

Outcomes