Why can't I add favorites in Explorer for ArcGIS?

Jump to solution
08-20-2015 01:50 PM
AnnalieseVollick
New Contributor III

I have 3 ArcGIS online user accounts (user level permission, part of the same group) who can't add map favorites. With my administrator account, I can add a favorite.  The others get

"Cannot Add Item to Favorites"

"Failed to add item to favorites".

Not sure where else I can look -- everything's shared that needs to be and if I make one of the users publisher level permission, they still can't add a favorite.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Annaliese

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SaranyaKesavan
New Contributor II

Hello Annaliese, sorry that you are facing this issue. This is a limitation in the implementation of favorites on the backend. Favorites are implemented as a group, and favoriting an item is equivalent to sharing it with a group. If you are trying to share an item that is not shared with public/org, the "second user" is not allowed to add it as a favorite (as he is not allowed to share it with any groups).

ArcGIS online is aware of this limitation and they have a workaround. They simply hide the favoriting controls for this item. Explorer for ArcGIS will address this problem in our future release.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnalieseVollick
New Contributor III

My above post relatess to apple (ipad). On Android, it (seemingly) lets me add a favorite, but when returning to the favorite section of the menu, no favorites are there.  If you try to add it as a favorite again, your option is to Remove from favorites.

I cant figure out what im missing here.

Thanks for any help.

Annaliese

0 Kudos
SaranyaKesavan
New Contributor II

Hello Annaliese, sorry that you are facing this issue. This is a limitation in the implementation of favorites on the backend. Favorites are implemented as a group, and favoriting an item is equivalent to sharing it with a group. If you are trying to share an item that is not shared with public/org, the "second user" is not allowed to add it as a favorite (as he is not allowed to share it with any groups).

ArcGIS online is aware of this limitation and they have a workaround. They simply hide the favoriting controls for this item. Explorer for ArcGIS will address this problem in our future release.

AnnalieseVollick
New Contributor III

Thanks for posting this Saranya - I haven't been able to find anything about this issue.  I find the more frustrating part about this is that when Explorer for ArcGIS is launched, it instructs you to add favourites...then you try, and you can't.  Thanks for the clarification.

Annaliese

0 Kudos