Re: Batch delete Geoeventdefinitions 10.3.1

08-17-2015 01:33 PM
SharonMeier
New Contributor III

I have an input connector that created thousands of GeoEvent Definitions.  I am using 10.3.1 and want to do the batch delete, but it is taking a long time to load all of the GeoEvent Definitions - it's been at least an hour with no definitions being displayed.

I am not able to get to the point of selecting events to delete. I've tried exporting my configuration, but that seems to be timing out before it prompts me for a location in which to save the files.

Is there some other way to delete the definitions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Sharon -

Are you able to log-in to the GeoEvent administrative API?

Browse to the GeoEvent Definitions endpoint

How many GeoEvent Definitions do you have?  I deliberately created over 1800 event definitions, which introduced significant delays in responses to my REST requests (5 - 7 seconds) ... but I was still able to get the browser to list all of the event definitions.

It is possible to use a browser plug-in (e.g. Chrome Poster) to make an HTTP/POST request on the following admin endpoint:

... But you will need to specify the GUID associated with each GeoEvent Definiton (not the event definition name) in the body of the request as a comma separated list of strings. Building that request for thousands of items is going to be a pain. Refer to the attached illustration.

Do you have any event definitions you particularly care about? It's probably going to be easier to just use the GeoEvent Manager and select 'Delete All'. You might have to do this a couple of times. I'm not sure why; maybe a "Delete All" which runs into one of the event definitions which cannot be deleted (incident and TrackGap) halts the deletion.

You can also use your favorite browser plug-in to do this administratively. Just make an HTTP/DELETE request on the following endpoint (as many times as necessary to actually delete all of the event definitions).

- RJ

0 Kudos
SharonMeier
New Contributor III

RJ,

I eventually did a delete all and got rid of them.  There were probably tens of thousands of them, but I don't know for sure.   I had exported my configuration last week, so I imported that configuration back in to get the definitions I had previously created.   I will make note of the admin tool you mentioned, though, in case this happens again. 

0 Kudos
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

If you're able to export your product configuration, and are comfortable with the concept of editing XML, you could also edit the exported XML to delete the geoEventDefinitions node (removing all of its sub-nodes from the XML), reset your GeoEvent product configuration, then import the edited XML to bring back all of your inputs, outputs, GeoEvent Services (etc.) ... without importing the unwanted GeoEvent Definitions.

- RJ

0 Kudos