Generalize from Advanced Editing Toolbar into Model Builder

Jump to solution
08-17-2015 02:04 PM
DarrenOmoth1
New Contributor

Is there a way to get the Generalize tool from the Advanced Editing toolbar (not the Generalize tool from the Editing Toolbox) into model builder or to call it from Python or vb.net?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

if it isn't in arctoolbox, then it cant be accessed in modelbuilder (unless there is some heroic method available...but you wouldn't be using modelbuilder in the first place)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

if it isn't in arctoolbox, then it cant be accessed in modelbuilder (unless there is some heroic method available...but you wouldn't be using modelbuilder in the first place)

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Would you like to use the Generalize tool of ArcToolBox? This is a geoprocessing tool, not an editing tool.

Generalize—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

N.B.: The changes will be made in the input feature.

Think Location
DarrenOmoth1
New Contributor

I was hoping to be able to Generalize only a few selected lines from a shapefile to remove Bezier curves so the Generalize toolbox isn't what I want.  Thanks for responding.  I guess I will have to think some more on this. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try Densify tool.

Adds vertices along line or polygon features. Also replaces curve segments (Bezier, circular arcs, and elliptical arcs) with line segments.

Densify—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Think Location
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

I haven't tested with either tool Jayanta Poddar​ recommends but most tools in arctoolbox honor a selection set. Sounds like you could run these tools and get the desired result. I would make a copy of the data before I tried.