Combine line and point feature classes attributes

Jump to solution
08-17-2015 08:15 AM
MathewSuran
New Contributor III

I have a line feature class and point feature class in a gdb that is hosted on our server. 

I want to utilize these in a webapp using the REST url. 

I want to ultimately be able to only display a line feature and be able to select it to display both line and point attributes. 

After doing some searching, I think I need to create a relationship class in the gdb. 

Can anyone lend some expertise on best way to accomplish this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

See this article and see if this points you in the right direction Creating relationship class in ArcMap 10.2 | mapsnigeriainitiative

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

See this article and see if this points you in the right direction Creating relationship class in ArcMap 10.2 | mapsnigeriainitiative

0 Kudos
MathewSuran
New Contributor III

Thanks for that info, that is on the same line as what I read before.  When the relationship class is created and the geodata service is shared on our server along with the Map service, do I only have to load the REST url of the feature class that I want to be able to access both attribute data from? 

For example:

The gdb has a line feature class, point feature class and relationship class for the line feature class to reference the point feature class attributes.  When loading the REST url, I would normally load both line and point which would be www.somegisserver.com/mapservice/0 and www.somegisserver.com/mapservice/1 respectively (0 being line, and 1 being point).  If I understand this correctly, I should only have to bring in the line feature (www.somegisserver.com/mapservice/0) and the relationship class will reference the point features attributes in the gdb when a line is selected in the webapp?  Or does it not work like that for webapplications?

0 Kudos
sapnas
by
Occasional Contributor III

Is the data stored in Arcsde or File GDB?  If its in Arcsde you can create view and use it instead

0 Kudos
MathewSuran
New Contributor III

Testing both ways, file and sde.

0 Kudos
sapnas
by

you may have to create a join in your mxd and publish it.

0 Kudos
MathewSuran
New Contributor III

What kind of join would you suggest since I have two different data types, Line and Point?

I don't really want to join since joining would give me all of the features.  All I want are the Line features to be able to be displayed but when selected, reference the point features attribute data to use in a query (for a later discussion).

0 Kudos
sapnas
by

Is there a common attribute between two feature class?

0 Kudos
MathewSuran
New Contributor III

Yes, there is a common field name that Identifies the location of both features named "Line".  There is 1 line per location while there are many points around the line, not directly on it.

0 Kudos
sapnas
by

I normally prefer sde as File based data systems (FGDB) are not well managed compared to an enterprise
database  such as Arcsde and moreover would not be handling data concurrency very efficiently
when multiple users use the system simultaneously. In SDE you can create views on the backend to join tables based on  spatial data  and/or  attributes which is absent in FGDB.

0 Kudos