NetCDF date/time interpreted incorrectly in ArcGIS

Jump to solution
08-14-2015 04:40 AM
Labels (1)
EsaHannus
New Contributor II

Hello All,

I try to work with temporal data stored in NetCDF format by using Multidimension Tools of ArcToolbox. Whatever NetCDF data set I use, I manage to get data into ArcGIS and work and play with it, but the date/time is interpreted incorrectly. I mean that the time values (date, time and especially the time step interval) are not correct. This makes it hard to work with certain "time slice" because it must be found by its index number instead of time value.

NetCDF files I have tried, come from reliable sources and are following the NetCDF convention "CF 1.6" which particularly should be the one that ArcGIS supports. The Panoply software from NASA shows the same data sets OK. Two of those files (and instructions as well) I tried, can be found in the Data Cookbook of NASA Goddard Earth Sciences Data and Information Services Center (GES DISC):

"How to Import Gridded Data in NetCDF Format into ArcGIS" and

"How to Define and Visualize Time Dimension in ArcGIS".

I am using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.3.1 Advanced running on Windows 7 workstation. Could this be due to my Windows locales (which are in Finnish), some ArcGIS setting, or what?

I am grateful for all solution suggestions, if any can be found.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

Can you provide an example of a correct date and the incorrect interpretation?  Knowing the specific symptom may help us diagnose the cause more efficiently.  I don't recall having encountered this issue previously so my first guess would be your Windows language settings.  Could you test by changing everything to English (United States)?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
GabrielUpchurch1

Can you provide an example of a correct date and the incorrect interpretation?  Knowing the specific symptom may help us diagnose the cause more efficiently.  I don't recall having encountered this issue previously so my first guess would be your Windows language settings.  Could you test by changing everything to English (United States)?

EsaHannus
New Contributor II

Thank you for the response!

Like Gabriel suggested and I also wondered at the first place: the Finnish as Windows date/time setting is the cause. I tested it by changing everything to English (U.S.) and the date/time appeared correctly. Example listings are below.

Even though I can now manage the problem, it is still an issue. Some other software such as MS Outlook also change the date/time format to US. Well, I can switch my Windows date/time between FI / US when I need to work with NetCDF, but it is inconvenient to keep it as US all the time. And it is a bit ridiculous for me to start ArcGIS exercise with the university class by saying "let's change the Windows date/time settings first". (I am not actually sure are students allowed to change the date/time settings of classroom workstations.)

But anyway, I am happy that I can work with data now. I try to find some NetCDF data made in Finland and see how it goes with it.

To be mentioned, one more detailed thing about my Win settings: actually I am using Windows 7 64-bit in English (display language), but of course date and time formats are set to "Finnish".

Example listings:

Times stored in NetCDF (as seen in Nasa Panoply software):

1951-01-01 00:00:00

1952-01-01 00:00:00

1953-01-01 00:00:00

1954-01-01 00:00:00

...etc.

Same times in ArcGIS when Windows 7 date and time formats are set to "Finnish":

1.1.1951 0:48:40

1.1.1951 1:37:28

1.1.1951 2:26:08

...etc.

Same times in ArcGIS when Windows 7 date and time formats are set to "English (US)":

1/1/1951

1/1/1952

1/1/1953

1/1/1954

...etc.

...And time is seen as 12:00:00 AM on each date (in ArcGIS Time Slider).

0 Kudos
GabrielUpchurch1

I was able to reproduce the issue on my end so I went ahead and submitted a defect for 10.3.1:

BUG-000090034 - Dates are incorrectly read for NetCDF data when the Windows Region and Language formats are set to Finnish (Finland).

EsaHannus
New Contributor II

Great! Thanks a lot! I was just thinking, should this be officially reported somehow.

0 Kudos