With Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1, has anyone else found that adding a layer to existing mxd and overwriting an existing ArcGIS Server map service scrambles up the already configured popups in the already configured web map popups and Web Appbuilder's Query w

08-13-2015 09:19 AM
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

I added an additional layer from our enterprise geodatabase to an existing mxd.
The mxd's layers point to the enterprise geodatabase and the mxd is published to our Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1/ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 site.

I used the overwrite option and after it successfully publishes the Web AppBuilder application we already had working fine is not showing the correct attributes in the pop-ups.

I opened the web map to see if the configured pop-ups were correct and found some strange results.

It looks like adding a new feature class to the middle of the drawing order in the mxd pushed the web map pointers around so that opening the configure popup for one layer in the web map makes the dialog show attributes from a different layer in the web map.
I had to re-configure each pop-up again for most of the layers in the web map.
Some layers were not affected. I think the layers that below the new layer were affected.

Then I had to delete and re-create the Web AppBuilder's query widget setup which had a couple queries in it (search by apn and search by address)

Is this a known bug? Is there a work around?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JimRobinson
New Contributor

When you have your MXD open right click in the data frame and go to the general tab. From there look down at the bottom of the tab and check the box for "Allow assignment of unique ID's for map service publishing" That should take care of your issue.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Thank you Jim,

I’ll give that a try, I also just noticed that two other map image services I had added to that web map would no longer display.

I looked back at the web map and the filter on acquisition date I had set for them was now giving an error about have to re-create the filter.

I did re-create the filter and now they both display again in the web map and Web AppBuilder application.

Is there a similar safeguard id setting for web maps that you mentioned for mxd files that will prevent this scrambling too?

-Bill

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Additional information:

I just added a feature class to an mxd already published as a map service and used in a web map and web app builder application.

The overwritten service succeeds and the new feature class is listed in the web map and I can check the draw it check box to see the layer fine.

The web app builder application see the new feature class but does not draw it when I check the draw it check box.

If I go back to the web map and check on the draw it check box and save the web map, the web app builder application will draw the layer but shows it as unchecked in the layer listing. And clicking on/off the check box has no effect - it is always drawing the layer.

Has anyone seen this behavior too?

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

I tried a few refresh options but soon was no longer able to configure popups and such again.

The only way I have found to fix these problems is to delete and recreate the map image layer, map service and mxd.

1. Remove the map service from the webmap
  2. Delete the map image layer from the Portal for ArcGIS
  3. Delete the map service from ArcGIS for Server
  4. Create a fresh empty mxd file
  5. Enable the unique id option in the data frame
  6. Add in each lyr file you need in the mxd
  7. Re-enter map document properties
  8. Re-publish the map service
  9. Add the map image layer back into the webmap
  10. View the same Web AppBuilder application
  11. Have to check some layers on and off to "wake it up"
  12. Then popups can be configured again, it draws and un-draws with the check boxes again like it should.

-Bill

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

#BUG-000090024   Unable to configure pop-ups for map service's feature layers with a unique layer ID in Portal for ArcGIS.

Open

In Product Plan

Medium

8/16/2015

Portal for ArcGIS

Please: Contact ESRI to create a support incident so you can escalate this bug.

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Update: following those steps is not always successful at fixing the problems.

This same bug must be related to the drawing/not drawing issues too:

I'm working with ESRI support and they have reproduced both popup and drawing issues on their systems too.

We must use the unique ID data frame option to not mess up the pop-up configurations & Web AppBuilder widgets.

But, if we do, it messes up the popup and drawing functionality.

#BUG-000090024   Unable to configure pop-ups for map service's feature layers with a unique layer ID in Portal for ArcGIS.

Jason SmithMichael RobbJim Robinson

0 Kudos
JasonSmith6
New Contributor III

Hi Jim,

I was having the same issues as Bill and tried what you suggested.  I republished the layer with the Unique ID checkbox checked and thought that would fix it.  However, as soon as i rearranged a few layers and overwrote the "fixed" service, the pop-ups are still all messed up again.  Any ideas?

Jason

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

This is the inherited design of Portal federated with server.  Unique IDs are made per ImageLayer etc...

The next is layer Incremental value within the map, just like in the TOC of an ArcMap Session.

Especially if you 'add more layers' to the web map where as any layer (below) the added layer position, has popups / Queries / Summaries and any other widget that uses the layers specifically below the layer list... will break.  This means you have to strategically create your web maps.  Knowing the impacts of 'changes' that may be needed.  This is of course, if you are 'adding layers'.

0 Kudos
JasonSmith6
New Contributor III

Michael,

What you are saying then is the Unique IDs set in ArcMap for the 1 data frame I have (with its groups and layers) do not keep in "sync" with the already published map service that is in the web map?  In other words, I noticed a Layer ID is assigned to each group/layer within the MapServer REST service (when I look at it in my browser window).  These are all in sequential order but do not match the ID that was assigned to each group/layer in ArcMap.  I thought once you gave a group/layer in ArcMap a unique ID, that once the service is published to ArcGIS Server and brought into a webmap in Portal, that the LayerID and UniqueID should match?  So in the future if you needed to rearrange groups/layers or add new layers to the MXD and then overwrite the old service, it would know which pop-up configurations go with each layer and everything would just stay in sync?

Maybe my knowledge is limited to what's going on "behind the scenes" and you could point me to a reference.  Thanks!

0 Kudos