Projection issues with XY data

Jump to solution
08-12-2015 07:29 PM
BrooksRobinson
New Contributor

Hi all.  I'm having a difficult time getting an XY data table to project correctly.  I'm relatively new to ArcMap and will greatly appreciate any help that you can give me.  Here are the facts and my issues - I'll try to be as specific as possible:

1) The data I'm importing is a simple XY data table (see attached csv)

2) The other data I'm working with (which was acquired through the same source): Geographic Coordinate System is GCS_NA_1983_HARN and Projected Coordinate System NAD_1983_HARN_StatePlane_Washington_South_FIPS_4602 (US Feet)

3) When I add the XY data and define the GCS and PCS to match the other data the XY data still does not project correctly

4) I have changed the data frame coordinate system to NAD 83 and WGS 84, added the XY data, then used Project to change the PCS but get an extent error each time

Any solutions or advice will be greatly appreciated.  I'll be around to provide any additional information that I can - hoping to get this solved and learn a little bit in the process.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

X is latitude    ie the coordinates that go in the east west direction

Y is longitude    the coordinates that go in the north south direction

It appears you have them reversed in the csv  and perhaps forgot to select the appropriate columns regardless of their headings

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JoshCox1
New Contributor

Hey,

I had this problem this morning. I'm no expert but have you tried simply setting the GCS to the XY data and not setting a PCS? I don't think the data frame should be an issue if your other data is displaying correctly.

Cheers,.

0 Kudos
BrooksRobinson
New Contributor

Just tried one more time, received the following error:

ERROR 999999: Error executing function.

invalid extent for output coordinate system

Failed to execute (Project)

The input fields in the project tool were:

Input Dataset or Feature Class: original csv converted to shapefile

Input Coordinate System:  GCS_WGS_1984 (default)

Output Dataset or Feature Class:  path to file

Output Coordinate System:  NAD_1983_HARN_StatePlane_Washington_South_FIPS_4602_(US Feet)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

X is latitude    ie the coordinates that go in the east west direction

Y is longitude    the coordinates that go in the north south direction

It appears you have them reversed in the csv  and perhaps forgot to select the appropriate columns regardless of their headings

BrooksRobinson
New Contributor

Dan, complete oversight on my part.  Thanks for taking a look and helping me out!

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Currently, in your CSV file, X field contains Latitude value and Y field contains Longitude value.

Conventionally, any GIS software recognizes X as Longitude and Y as Latitude. You could also switch the field names in CSV file.

Think Location
0 Kudos