Height data for abstraction or refinement

08-11-2015 07:52 PM
AlanKlys
Occasional Contributor

Hi CE folks,

Just toying around with the idea of using CE and simple height data to quickly abstract away or refine swathes of city blocks etc.

This came about as I have often been asked to abstract away certain parts of models for sensitivity / in development reasons as well as me wanting to do a bit of a stress test to see what's better in terms of web scenes, instances or real geometry.  I'm yet to figure that one out but it's an interesting question.  Don't ask me how I'd texture this

City_Abstraction_adk.gif

7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Awesome!

0 Kudos
AlanKlys
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Chris

Here's the next phase

City_Abstraction_adk_M.gif

A crude test I know, but It's interesting that the skyline becomes recognizable even at fairly low subdivisions.  I did a similar thing in 3D apps a long time ago but it was nowhere this flexible nor dynamic to mess around with.  If you notice "green" buildings and other weird stuff it's not because Melbourne is progressive and has lots of vertical gardens (there are a few) but because the height data is eons old and doesn't match my hand stitched ortho.  Theoretically this could be way more precise I guess.

MicahTaylor
Occasional Contributor III

This is very cool!   Idea: Not only is this great for Urban Visualization, but you could sell this video as a computer screen saver!

Just curious, how did you make the buildings change in the video?..manually?...python script changing attributes?

0 Kudos
AlanKlys
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Micah. 

I did all the changes manually, not that good with python scripting yet, so a video via CityEngine would be a clunky way to go. It's not that well suited for this type of thing. 

I'm just starting to learn Houdini so might attempt to knock something up in that or some other 3D/animation package if/when I get a chance.  I'll be sure to post it here so you can have a peek  

DavidWasserman

This is really cool Alan! Are you sampling the imagery below the subdivided shapes?

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
AlanKlys
Occasional Contributor

Hi David,

I think I'm setting some sort of record here for the longest time between comment / reply 

Not a record to be proud of but I'm back in the CE fold and need to attend to a few stray posts it seems.

To answer your question yes I'm simply sampling the terrain below to colourise the shapes.

That old scene keeps crashing the newest CE version so I'll see if I can make it work and post it here perhaps.

It's a very simple setup than anyone can knock up in a few minutes.      

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman

Hi Alan, 
This is an old thread, but still and awesome one. I remember being told that something like this was ill advised, but I think you showed pretty well here that it could have some serious applications (visual abstraction etc). I would love to see the scene / rules if you can get them to work again. 
Glad to have you in the fold. 

David Wasserman, AICP