Opening Layer/Map Packages from Desktop in ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
08-11-2015 11:41 AM
Labels (2)
TobyJacobs1
New Contributor II

Hi -

I created both a map and layer package to try to access a feature class with ArcGIS Online, but it's not working. If I search just in 'My Content', nothing comes up; if I do the general search from arcgis.com I can find the packages, but the only options for opening are "Open in ArcGIS Desktop" or "Download". How do I get these things to open in AGOL? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Toby,

You will not be able to open layer or map packages within ArcGIS Online.  These packages are ways to easily transfer data to others to use within Desktop.

What you will need to do is publish your data as a hosted feature service.  See the section 'Publish from ArcMap' in the below link:

Publish features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Also, you will need to be part of an ArcGIS Online Organization.  You cannot use an ArcGIS Online personal account to create a hosted feature service.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Toby,

You will not be able to open layer or map packages within ArcGIS Online.  These packages are ways to easily transfer data to others to use within Desktop.

What you will need to do is publish your data as a hosted feature service.  See the section 'Publish from ArcMap' in the below link:

Publish features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Also, you will need to be part of an ArcGIS Online Organization.  You cannot use an ArcGIS Online personal account to create a hosted feature service.

TobyJacobs1
New Contributor II

got it. thanks!

0 Kudos