AnsweredAssumed Answered

Student looking for advice on system requirements/graphics cards

Question asked by slyoung0927 on Aug 10, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 by csgeosol1

I am a student who has taken several classes in GIS. I need a new laptop before I start grad school in 2 weeks where I will be taking many more GIS classes as part of my program. The system will need to run ArcGIS both desktop and online and ArcScene (3D), and be able to handle many files containing satellite raster photos at one time. My old laptop and desktop barely handled the workload last semester and crashed several times. I have done some research and realize that the NVIDIA K series in a workstation is my best option. I decided on a HP z book, however, it's a little out of my price range at the moment. I'm actually a geology & geography major and not a huge techie; I  have only taken one computer programing class with python, so I am slightly ignorant when it comes to highly technical forum posts. I was hoping somebody would be able to tell me if I need a workstation computer or would a gaming computer with an Nvidia GE Force graphics card with an intel I7 quad core work for my short term needs? I am considering an Alienware or ASUS Rogue with a 2.5GHz fourth-generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ up to 3.5GHz, 24GB DDR3L RAM (or the 16GB), 1TB hard drive, 256GB solid-state drive secondary drive, and a  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M graphics with 4GB GDDR5 graphics memory. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Outcomes