Suddenly Can't Publish Feature Services? v10.3

08-06-2015 04:02 PM
Occasional Contributor III

I just tried to publish a feature service, and I get two errors:

First, in Desktop, I get this error:

"Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed. ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service.  Please consult the GP Results Window for enhanced error description or contact your administrator for the server logs."  (no useful info in GP results window)

Then, I log into Server Manager, and the service is there, but is stopped.  I try to start it, and get these errors:

Error executing tool.: ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service. Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition).

Failed to create the service.: ERROR: Service failed to start, Internal server error.

Core server call to create service failed.

Initialization failed.

The Layer:'LayerName' in Map:'Dataframe' is invalid. The base table definition string "tablename" is invalid. Failure to access the DBMS server.

I can publish the same data as a simple Mapping-only service successfully.  To my knowledge, nothing about the permissions on the server have changed.

Any idea how to start troubleshooting?  Also note: everything is configured appropriately for the feature service capabilities, there are no errors on analysis, etc.

Thanks!

SQL Server 2008 R2/AGS 10.3

22 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hello Marianne,

How are you connecting to ArcGIS Server?

If web-adaptor is already configured in your machine, access the ArcGIS Server using the following URL

From ArcCatalog

http://<FullMachineName>/<WebAdaptorName>

Accessing Manager from Web-browser

http://<FullMachineName>/<WebAdaptorName>/Manager

*Do not use any port no.

Also make sure that the database is registered in ArcGIS Server data store.

Think Location

Jayanta: thank for the response.  There appears to be no problem with the connection parameters or the registered store.  A service with only Mapping will publish successfully; it is only when I add Feature Access that this problem occurs.

EDIT: at this stage, I thought that the Mapping-only services were OK, as the publication mxd reported a successful publish process.  However, I later discovered via the JavaScript viewer at the REST endpoint that the Mapping-only services were not rendering. Further digging revealed the service's status in AGSManager was "Stopping..." and would not be started.

0 Kudos
PhilipSlater
New Contributor III

Not sure if this is helpful, but in a Portal world...

Common problems and solutions—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

my apologies in advance if it isn't.

0 Kudos

Thanks Philip.  I did see that, but we don't have Portal configured.  To be thorough, I removed underscores from the service name, leaving only regular English letters.  There was no effect.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Marianne,

Did you analyze the MXD during the publishing process to se if there were any layers that it didn't like?

Also, do you have your DMBS layer registered in you ArcGIS Server's DataStore, and does it show a green check if you validate the connection??

I don't have any on our 10.3 test machine, but this is what it looks like on 10.2.2

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.  There were no errors on analysis, and all data stores validate successfully.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Since the map server can be published, I would guess it is a permission issue for the feature service.  I don't have enough experience to help much with thie, but you may want to read thru ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) if you haven't already   (in case links aren't working correctly yet in GeoNet  http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//015400000393000000

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Marianne,

Did you create an enterprise geodatabase?

Think Location
0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

For feature access, all data should be published from the same location.  This might be causing the error.  To see the list of locations, click the List by Source button in the Table of Contents.

A permissions issue would surely pop up in the error inspector window so I'm guessing that isn't the issue.

Hope this helps.

-Steven

0 Kudos