Scale Bar in Layout view

Jump to solution
08-06-2015 12:50 PM
VivienDirksen
New Contributor

Hello,

I just treid to insert a scale bar in ArcMap 10.3. Therefore I switched into Layout View and clicked on the scale bar button. But the scale bar did not copy the right extent of my map but showed smaller numbers than expected. The area on my map is more then 100 ha large but the scale bar just showed me the area is about 10 ha big.

Does anybody know what I did wrong?

Thanks and bye

Annabelle

Hallo,

heute habe ich versucht eine Maßstabsleiste in ArcMap 10.3 einzufügen. Dafür habe ich in die Layout-Ansicht gewechselt und eine Maßstabsleiste eingefügt. Allerdings hat sie nicht die korrekten Werte des Extents übernommen, sondern zeigte mir viel kleinere Werte an. Das Gebiet auf der Karte ist mehrere hundert Hektar groß und der Maßstab zeigt mir fälschlicherweise an, dass das Gebiet gerade einmal 10 ha groß ist.

Weiß jemand wie ich diesen Fehler beheben kann?

Vielen Dank im Voraus und liebe Grüße

Annabelle

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Any chance you have two data frames in the same map and had the wrong one activated when you added the scale bar?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Can you share a screenshot of the problem? I'm having a hard time visualizing how a scale bar is displaying area.

0 Kudos
VivienDirksen
New Contributor

Thank you for your answer. When I wrote my message yesterday I got a little confused about the lenght and the unit of area. What I wanted to say is that the area on my map is huge because it shows a big part of a national park in Finland. The scale bar you can see down below on the screen shot doesn't represent the right scale because the lenght of the scale bar doesn't fit to the 10 kilometers. Actually there has to stand a 500 at the end of the scale bar, I think. I treid several things now, but it doesn't fit to the reality.

Maybe anybody has an idea what I am doing wrong.

Thank you,

Annabelle

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Vivien,

You could use the measure tool. Change the units to kilometers. Draw a line on the image, just above the saclebar to check if it gives you the correct measurement.

Think Location
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Just a wild hunch... hectare (aka ha) is a unit of area, what you are probably seeing is a unit length (perhaps meters, kilometers

0 Kudos
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Any chance you have two data frames in the same map and had the wrong one activated when you added the scale bar?

VivienDirksen
New Contributor

Thank you so much Ben for that advice. I totally forgot I was working with the wrong data frame. I also used the measure tool Jayanta told me to use and now everything fits perfectly together.

Thank you all for the help. I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos