Bad login logged in as another user

Jump to solution
08-05-2015 01:38 PM
BrianHealer
New Contributor II

Hi, I am attempting to use my username and password to connect to a "spatial database connection" in ArcCatalog 10.0. If I am logged into the computer as anyone else but myself (if my coworker is logged into the computer but I use my credentials to create a connection) then the connection fails with "Bad login" message.  I am attempting to do this because I need to use my username and login to connect via C# code for another user.  That user's credentials have issues due to a known ESRI bug that I will not go into.  I can use MY username and password and the code works, so I just want to be able to use my credentials while he is logged in.   Please let me know if this is possible!  Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brian,

Correct me if I am wrong.

Logging into RDBMS with Windows authentication is managed by the system. Your Windows login and RDBMS login cannot be different.

You could use mixed mode of authentication. And create database users to log into the database from any Windows login.

Think Location

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brian,

Correct me if I am wrong.

Logging into RDBMS with Windows authentication is managed by the system. Your Windows login and RDBMS login cannot be different.

You could use mixed mode of authentication. And create database users to log into the database from any Windows login.

Think Location
BrianHealer
New Contributor II

Hi Jayanta,

I am choosing "Database authentication", not windows authentication, when logging into the spatial database connection.  The database is set up for "SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode".  However, I do see that, under my Login, "SQL Server Authentication" has "Login is locked out" greyed out with no other options.  I'm not sure if that matters since the box is not checked.  I will keep looking into this.  I am a sysadmin on the server.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
BrianHealer
New Contributor II

Ok, so the known bug with ESRI login is that the new users default to a schema of the username instead of dbo, as documented here: 30620 - Failed to create feature class. DBMS table not found [database.user.fcname] .  So, when I try to add a username with SQL Server Authentication I still have a problem with what I am trying to do (because the user is new and is created with Arc 10.0).   When adding a new user, the user has to be set up as either windows or SQL server authentication, so I imagine that this is why my login is not working.  It was originally set up as windows and I cannot change it.  Now that I found the above referenced work around I have gotten my code to work with the user's info, so I no longer need to use mine.