Portal - Tile Mapping Capability

Jump to solution
07-31-2015 10:01 AM
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Is the ability to host a tiled mapping feature service on Portal for ArcGIS (10.3.1) available as it is with ArcGIS Online? I ask this in relation to hosting a tiled map service for the purpose of taking this tile service offline as a basemap with Collector (10.3.1 Build 990). I see this functionality is available with ArcGIS Online/Collector 10.3 and I would like to take advantage of it with our Portal for ArcGIS. This is a great enhancement over the creation of TPK files and side loading for offline basemaps. Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KyleHeideman1
New Contributor II

And to answer your original question you need to add the one of the federated servers as a hosting server. This is helpful.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
BenGrod

I'm guessing this capability is not available but giving the question a bump for one more shot before I retire it and ask Esri Support

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle

You sure can, just select My Hosted Services when you select which connection to publish to, then you'll get the options you get on ArcGIS Online.

BenGrod

Hey Jacob,

Would we have to enable one of the federated servers to act as the Portal's hosting server in order to access that capability? We currently don't have a hosting server so the workflow is to publish a service to either of the ArcGIS Servers and then share the content to the Organization/Groups. When publishing a service to ArcGIS Server the Tile Mapping capability is not available as when you publish to AGOL. Thanks again for you help and suggestions!

ArcGIS Service Capabilities when publishing to Federated Server

8-13-2015 2-16-03 PM.png

Capabilities available when publishing to AGOL

8-13-2015 2-19-23 PM.png

0 Kudos
KyleHeideman1
New Contributor II

When publishing directly to ArcGIS Server you'll need to check out the caching properties. This will allow you to create a cached service that can be taken offline. You'll want to be sure you have the Export Cache Tiles option turned on if you plan to use in Collector. Server has to be at 10.2.2 or higher.

KyleHeideman1
New Contributor II

And to answer your original question you need to add the one of the federated servers as a hosting server. This is helpful.

BenGrod

Thanks Kyle, adding/designating a hosted server to the Portal configuration was the trick to unlock the tile layers capabilities (among others). Thanks both Kyle and Jacob for your help and suggestions!

0 Kudos