Interpolating at different resolutions (arcmap 10.2.2)

Jump to solution
07-30-2015 11:10 AM
NebilMahmud
New Contributor

Hello!!

I've been having a hard time figuring out what I'm doing wrong. I'm interpolating radon levels for certain areas in Sweden and I wanted to see the results of the interpolations at 300 and 500m resolutions in contrast to 100m. These are the steps I took on ArcMap 10.2.2.: Geo processing>environments>

• processing extent: "same as display">
  • Raster analysis, Cell size: "as specified below", 300. I repeated the same steps and changed to 500

I don't see any difference at all in the appearance of my map. It looks exactly the same. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Are there other ways to change resolutions of the interpolation results? I am using IDWA and Ordinary Kringing methods.

I would appreciate any help here!!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

What tools/procedures are you using for the interpolations?  The reason I ask is because the interpolation geoprocessing tools (e.g., IDW, Kriging) have output cell size parameters.  In the case of these geoprocessing tools, this is not something you would specify in the Environment settings.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

What tools/procedures are you using for the interpolations?  The reason I ask is because the interpolation geoprocessing tools (e.g., IDW, Kriging) have output cell size parameters.  In the case of these geoprocessing tools, this is not something you would specify in the Environment settings.

NebilMahmud
New Contributor

This worked like a charm! I knew I was missing something so obvious. Thank you so much. I did the interpolations at 100,300 and 500m. There are slight differences. The prediction surface seems to be larger as the resolution gets higher.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You may not 'see' the differences, but if you subtract one result from the other, then differences will appear.  Also to visually compare results, you must use the same legend and its breaks, allowing the legend to scale its color ramp is one likely way to hide real differences.  Create your own classification scheme and use it for your comparison, if you don't want to do the subtraction.