Story Map Swipe not covering left-side layer

Jump to solution
07-28-2015 01:31 PM
AllenRisley
Occasional Contributor II

I am working with the Story Map Swipe template, trying to display and swipe two layers from one web map.  The layer on the left side of the swipe bar displays correctly.  However, the right side of the swipe bar displays the appropriate layer on top of the display but I can see the left-hand side layer showing through the top layer.  How can I make the swipe map show one layer exclusively on each side of the bar?

I tried creating the swipe map using two separate maps but the template kept crashing.

Thanks,

Allen Risley

Cal State University San Marcos

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Great.

So this is the expected behavior. The way I should have used to describe it earlier is: the right side display all the layers, and the left side display all layers but the one that you have chosen to swipe.

If you want to make sure one layer don't appear on the right, you will have to do two webmaps. It should works well now that your layer are using Feature Services!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
GregoryL_Azou

Hi, sorry about your issues.

I'm not exactly sure what is the issue you are facing.

Could you share with us the map that are making the app crash as well as the swipe app you created?

When you only have one webmap, you choose one layer that only appear on the right side, the left side will show all the other layers all the time.  You can't chose multiple swipe layers (that would appear on the right side). So if your maps has two layers, that should work as expected. If you have three layers, two will be displayed on the left.

AllenRisley

This is the map with the swipe problem: http://csusm-gis-lab.maps.arcgis.com/apps/StorytellingSwipe/index.html?appid=4a358aa5309f413195a999d...

You'll notice when you swipe the bar far to the west that there are some blue/green polygons that show through the right side orange layers.  I don't want those blue/green polygons to show.

This map also has problems loading.  I usually have to retry a few times to get it to display.  This will be a big problem for the customers and end users of the map.

I deleted the swipe map made from two separate webmaps, but I'll try creating another one.

Thanks!

Allen

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

I am not able to open the app at all 😕

It seems that your webmap is quite heavy, your 3 layers are Feature Collection (layers included in the web map) and as a result the webmap is quite heavy (2.5MB), this make the app very heavy for some network. If you can created Feature Services from those layers (see the following documentation Publish features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS) the app will perform better and it may also fix the rendering issue.

AllenRisley

It usually takes me a few retries.

Good tip on the Feature Services.  I have done that before, just hadn't got around to it for this data yet.  I'll see if that helps the loading issues.

0 Kudos
AllenRisley

Here's a link to the new mapping application, lightened by turning shapefiles into Feature Layers: http://arcg.is/1IqToSu

Still experiencing the problem with the underneath layer showing on the right side.  There are some places in the % graduating layer without data (and associated polygons), so there are "holes" in this layer, but I did not think that would matter.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Great.

So this is the expected behavior. The way I should have used to describe it earlier is: the right side display all the layers, and the left side display all layers but the one that you have chosen to swipe.

If you want to make sure one layer don't appear on the right, you will have to do two webmaps. It should works well now that your layer are using Feature Services!

AllenRisley

I had a feeling that might be the case.  I had tried to make it with two maps at first but the size of the shapefiles must have been the problem.  I'll make (yet another) new version from two separate maps.  Adjusting all of the legend and pop-up details is tedious, though.

Thanks for your help!!!

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

You are welcome.

I know this is not ideal, I don't like duplicating webmap either but we really just can't do that.