AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can I flip a picture marker symbol to its mirror image?

Question asked by huffmanp on Jul 23, 2015
Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 by huffmanp

I thought I was going to be able to revise an old time animation to use a trick I just learned with representations to get the marker ( a little fish) to lie parallel to a line feature class (the river).  All I would need to do would be convert linear events to a geodatabase feature class, then convert the symbology to a representation.  But before that, I thought I'd better take the time to flip the marker over so the little fish swim the right direction.  Looking for a mirror image flip.  A 180 degree rotation will point the fish in the right direction but he'll be upside down.  I was looking at the 10.2.2 Symbol Property Editor but didn't see a mirror image flip option, just a rotate.  I can see that the Type is a Picture Marker Symbol but it isn't linked to an external file name. Must be stored in Arc somewhere. I had hoped I could find a reference to a file location so I could edit the graphics file externally, because I haven't been able to find it with Windows Explorer. Knowing the file name would help. 

Looking at Style References, I see a style that I created, Paul. it's checked but grayed out. I wonder if that means I left the style file behind on a old PC in Users\...\Appdata.  In this computer's AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.2\ArcMap and in Desktop\10.1\ArcMap I found a couple Paul.style files, but adding the style files didn't correct the style file from being grayed out. Besides, that won't help me flip the graphic.

I couldn't find a way to export the marker from Symbol Selector to a graphics file that I could edit with another editor. I might be able a snip the symbol off the screen but then I would have to trim off all the background.

I went ahead and  Converted Symbols to Representation so I could see what I could do in Marker Editor, but this step stripped off the marker outline that I had as well as made the marker much smaller. How did that happen?  And I didn't see anything in Marker Editor that would do a mirror image flip.

Stuck every way I go.  What do you suggest?

Outcomes