tif file not showing up at correct location

07-22-2015 08:36 AM
JohnPower
New Contributor II

We have an mxd which contains a NAIP tif image. The image comes in to the mxd correctly on one machine, but on another machine using exactly the same mxd the image is completely in the wrong place. Has anyone encountered this before? I assume this must have something to do with the settings of ArcMap on the machine that doesn't bring the tif in at the proper location.

Thanks,

John

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

That is quite bizarre.  Is it the same version of ArcGIS on both machines?

It's a shot in the dark, but I would compare the following setting between the two machines:  ArcMap > "Customize" dropdown menu > "ArcMap Options" > "Raster" tab > "Raster Dataset" sub tab > "Use world file to define the coordinates of the raster."

0 Kudos
JohnPower
New Contributor II

Thanks Gabriel. I tried that before and it didn't help. There are two other raster files in the mxd that come in perfectly. The extent for the top and bottom are correct but the left and right are completely wrong in the Full Extent setting. The visible extent is correct.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Are the mxds pointing to exactly the same .tif file (i.e. not a local copy), or different files, one on each machine? If different, check that each file has the projection properly defined. The mxd will simply load the files according to how each one has been defined - that information is not inherent in the mxd.

JohnPower
New Contributor II

The .tif file is on a server, so both machines point to the same file.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Something else to check - you mention on one mxd it is in the wrong place.  What specifically is indicating it is in the wrong location?  Does it not align with other data?  I ask, as the issue may instead be that the other data you have that you expect it to line up with may be off (missing or wrong projection, no coordinate system, etc) and the NAIP image is fine.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
JohnPower
New Contributor II

All data including the map window are in the correct projection. In the extent tab for the problem image the X-extents under 'Full Extent' are completely wrong. The Y-extents are correct. There are two other images, one a NAIP image that line up perfectly.

0 Kudos
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

If you open a blank MXD on the second machine and add the tiff, is it still displaying in the wrong place?  Also, can you post a screenshot that shows the misalignment?

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

As a test, can you start a new mxd, then add the NAIP image first, then drag in the other data from the problem mxd.  This will help in troubleshooting.

- if it all lines up, it may be that the problem mxd has become corrupted.  A potential way to resolve this is to run the MXD Doctor utility (but make a backup copy of the mxd first):

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

- You can also try removing the NAIP image from the problem mxd, then adding it back in again to the problem mxd.  This may "reset" the extents to the correct values.

Chris Donohue, GISP

JohnPower
New Contributor II

I added the image to a new mxd and it came in correctly. I suspect the mxd may have gotten corrupted. Out of time for now but I will rebuild the mxd when I get a chance. Thanks very much.