Collector on Android: "A cellular or wifi connection is required" after checkout?

07-21-2015 10:03 AM
JacquelineKovarik
New Contributor III

In Collector for ArcGIS on a couple different Android devices, I get the error message "A cellular or wifi connection is required" when trying to open the Collector for ArcGIS app after checking my data and basemap out. The only workaround I've found is to completely restart the Android device, after which I can open the Collector app and access my checked out map. This seems like a bug and is not conducive to my organization's field staff.

I do not have any problem closing and opening the Collector app on my iOS devices after a checkout.

Is anyone else having this problem? Seems like a big one that Esri should be looking into.

Device specs (all using Collector for ArcGIS version 10.3.2 build 1014 and meet system requirements for Collector compatibility):

• Google Nexus 7 (checked out data is not accessible without a device restart)
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab S (checked out data is not accessible without a device restart)
  • Apple iPad (no problem)
  • Apple iPhone (no problem)
  • Apple iPad (no problem)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ShelbySouthworth
New Contributor III

Is there any word from ESRI on this issue? As of January 2017 this is still an ongoing and completely frustrating issue for myself and for our field crews (who rely on this technology to keep water flowing to almost 100k people). Might I suggest that if Collector wishes to only allow us to view device-based maps without without "glitching a fit", that we get the functionality to side load .mpk/.mmpk's to our mobile devices via MicroSD cards and avoid the issue entirely?  Kylie Donia Brent PierceCollector for ArcGIS ArcGIS Online https://community.esri.com/groups/mobile-gis?sr=search&searchId=a07a6565-1b6c-4deb-98a9-0c5dbcd67cee...

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Jacqueline/Shelby, 

I have seen the issue about " A cellular or wifi connection is required" before. But I haven't been able to reproduce it. Can you elaborate the steps to reproduce it? After you take data and basemap offline, what do you do? Do you close the app and open again? Is the device wi-fi only or with cellular network? 

Thanks

- Morgan

0 Kudos
MattKoukol
New Contributor III

I just purchased a Samsung 9+ and loaded Collector.  I can sign in, and I can see the groups that I am a part of, but if I try to go any further (click on a group to see a map or click on My Maps), I get an error saying "A cellular or wifi connection is required."  I am on a Wi-Fi network, and it obviously had sufficient connectivity to get the groups and log me in.  Can someone give some help with this?

The workaround mentioned above does not help (the restarting device).  Collector 17.0.4, Build 1030 and Android Version 8.0.0

Thanks,
Matt

0 Kudos
JacobTully1
New Contributor III

I've noticed that we have issues with our wifi network. I believe it may be related to our proxy server or other security measures, but not 100% sure. At any rate, when I get this message, I usually turn off wifi and use my mobile data connection and it solves the issue. Obviously this won't work for devices without a mobile data plan. Good luck!

0 Kudos
ChauhanYashwant
Esri Contributor

Hello

I ran into this issue 2 days back. I cannot view my web maps on collector. These maps flash for an instant and then nothing. I have tried on 3 different devices and same result. After trying for few second it goes to "on device" maps. I have none. If i try to change to "All" maps it gives a message "A cellular or wifi connection is required". I can use all maps normally in collector beta though. I tried removing the app, reinstalling, removing beta and everything.

0 Kudos
MatthewLenox1
New Contributor

I'm having the same issues.  Did you figure out a solution? Thanks! chauseli Chau Miaogeng Zhang

0 Kudos
ChauhanYashwant
Esri Contributor

There are some incompatible layers in your AGOL. Please refer this link. Delete these layers, not only the webmap but the feature layer. Like I had a layer in a projection system which is still not added to collector, but is there in Collector Beta.

MatthewLenox1
New Contributor

Thank you! That solved it.  

0 Kudos