Unable to add "my content" shapefile to ArcGIS Online map?

Jump to solution
07-21-2015 01:21 PM
BruceLang
Occasional Contributor III

When creating a map, why can't I add a shapefile that's already a part of my organization's content?  Instead, I must "Add Layer from File" to add the shapefile.  I've tried sharing the shapefile with "Everyone" and/or my "Organization" but it does not show in the dialog below.

This screenshot was taken before setting the "Shared" status

The online help ( http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/shapefiles.htm​ ) states at the very end "you must use the Add button in the map viewer."  But does not give additional details as to what data sources can be used.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

To add to Jennifer's answer you can add a shapefile to the map through Add > Add layer as file. Then when it is in the map there is an option to click Save Layer. When you click this button it will save the shapefile as a feature layer item to your "My Content" and it can then be added to other maps through the workflow you mentioned in the original post. This wont publish a hosted feature service when you save the layer but you have the option to publish it as new hosted feature service if you want to have other apps like Collector to be able to edit or collect data on this layer from the layers item detail page.

Cheers

Russ

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JenniferMcCall4

Hi Bruce,

You need to create a hosted feature layer from the shapefile, and then you can search for it.

When you add the shapefile to My Content, ensure "Publish this file as a hosted layer" is checked.  It will create both the shapefile and hosted feature layer in My Content.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

To add to Jennifer's answer you can add a shapefile to the map through Add > Add layer as file. Then when it is in the map there is an option to click Save Layer. When you click this button it will save the shapefile as a feature layer item to your "My Content" and it can then be added to other maps through the workflow you mentioned in the original post. This wont publish a hosted feature service when you save the layer but you have the option to publish it as new hosted feature service if you want to have other apps like Collector to be able to edit or collect data on this layer from the layers item detail page.

Cheers

Russ

BruceLang

Russell, Yes that did it for me!  Thank you.

0 Kudos
BruceLang

Thanks Jennifer,

But that option is not available to me (see image below) - is it because the data is not hosted on our server, but ESRI's?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Your Organizational role might not have the ability to publish hosted feature services and that is why you cannot take your shapefile and publish it up as a hosted service.

0 Kudos