Geocodes for State and County

07-20-2015 09:22 AM
AbhishekAgrawal
New Contributor

Hi All,

I am student and working on a project, as part of the project I have to find missing geocodes of USA states and county combination, please note I do not have address, zip code etc, my file only contains States and Counties.

I have access to trail online ESRI account and desktop Esri, please suggest how I can find missing geocodes (attaching file).

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You might want to first clean the data you posted.  For example I see the word Countyin in several records.

Some of these you'll never get like Navajo Nation Reservation Also NM and UT:  which one do you want?  Utah or New Mexico?  Or both?

I also see PMSA with comma separated numbers: what's up with these?

Get things cleaned up and I bet you can get most of them to hit with an online Points of Interest locator.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
AbhishekAgrawal
New Contributor

Hi Joe,

Thanks for you reply, I agree that the data I provided is not cleansed, I will make it better but just to understand the process can you please tell me how I can find latitude and longitude of below 4 state and counties?

SolanoCA
Los AngelesCA
St. Landry ParishLA
St. Charles ParishLA
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I don't use the located services provided by  ArcGIS online so I don't know what's available.  You can try to see if there is a COUNTY geocoding service available through them.  ArcGIS software used to ship with a data disc;  I could just give the information, but where's the learning experience in that?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos