How to create a sphere (3d) from point featureclass?

Jump to solution
07-21-2015 04:03 AM
Juerg_J_Engel
New Contributor III

Hi,

for a point featureclass with a distance attribute I want to create a sphere with the distance as the radius for a 3d object.

Aus einer Punkt-Featureklasse sollen Kugeln entstehen, Kugelradius ist ein Distanzattribut.

How to, step-by-step would be nice, thanks.

Cheers

George

---

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi George,

This can be done with the Buffer 3D tool in the 3D Analyst extension.  You can use the 'Field' option of the Distance parameter to specify your distance attribute as the radius.  The linear units of the radius will be based on the spatial reference of the point feature class.

Here is the help document:  Buffer 3D—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

View solution in original post

4 Replies
GabrielUpchurch1

Hi George,

This can be done with the Buffer 3D tool in the 3D Analyst extension.  You can use the 'Field' option of the Distance parameter to specify your distance attribute as the radius.  The linear units of the radius will be based on the spatial reference of the point feature class.

Here is the help document:  Buffer 3D—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Juerg_J_Engel
New Contributor III

Hi Gabriel

Thank you! Sometimes it's realy easy...

Do you have an idea how to create a pipe in 3d? Gas pipline for example. the baselayer is polyline with attribute for Diameters.

Greetimgs, George

0 Kudos
GabrielUpchurch1

The Buffer 3D tool also works for polylines.  Assuming the pipeline does not run truly horizontal, you would want to incorporate Z values prior to doing the buffering.  You can use a DEM with the Interpolate Shape tool to add Z values to your polyline or use Feature To 3D By Attribute if you have elevation/depth values for pipe segments stored as a attribute.

Help Documents:

Interpolate Shape—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop
Feature To 3D By Attribute—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Juerg_J_Engel
New Contributor III

Hi Gabriel

Sorry for my late response.

I've a lot of work and your  tips helped a lot.

Thanks again.

Cheers, George

0 Kudos