What happened to Scipy and Pandas in 10.3.1?

Jump to solution
07-17-2015 02:31 AM
AndrewRae
New Contributor III

I thought I would install 10.3.1 to try it out and went looking for the python modules pandas and scipy. Tried importing them no luck. Where are they? There has been a lot of talk of them being in this release and I was looking forward to them.

It was announced that they would be installed as standard at the dev summit and in this blog post:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/esri-insider/2014/11/05/strengthening-the-link-between-gis-and-science/

Does anyone know what the story is with these python third party modules.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

They announced it, with some fanfare, for ArcGIS 10.3.1, but the fact is it didn't make it into the release.  Unfortunately, the news it didn't make the release, well, barely exists.  It is in ArcGIS Pro 1.1, and I have been told it will be in ArcGIS 10.4.  I don't know whether there will be an ArcGIS 10.3.2 (I could see it going either way given the current ArcGIS 10.4 release schedule); and even if there is, it is unknown whether SciPy would make it into that release.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

me thinks this link Esri Advances Scientific Analysis with SciPy might allude to the fact that SciPy will be available for ArcGIS Pro when ArcGIS (Desktop...my brackets) 10.3.1 is released. 

The only way to confirm this is for someone to have both installed/updated when the 10.3.1 update appeared.  I don't fall into that category since I am waiting for more analysis capabilities in Pro

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

They announced it, with some fanfare, for ArcGIS 10.3.1, but the fact is it didn't make it into the release.  Unfortunately, the news it didn't make the release, well, barely exists.  It is in ArcGIS Pro 1.1, and I have been told it will be in ArcGIS 10.4.  I don't know whether there will be an ArcGIS 10.3.2 (I could see it going either way given the current ArcGIS 10.4 release schedule); and even if there is, it is unknown whether SciPy would make it into that release.

AndrewRae
New Contributor III

Thanks that is really helpful.

I did also notice in the blog post that there was suppose to be an aditional package with scipy etc. that you could download from ESRI that would work nicely with with ArcPy I guess that has also quietly died a death for now as well. There must have been some issues.

0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

Buried in the comments of the blog post:

Kevin Butler says:

The goal is to have SciPy included with  the 10.4 release (Server and Desktop) which will tentatively ship fourth  quarter of 2015.   

April 21, 2015 at 9:38 am

Curtis Price says:

So you’ve changed plans? The article above says:
At the 10.3.1 release, SciPy will be automatically installed with ArcGIS for Desktop.
So I am looking at it with the 10.3.1 release – not there! Bummer!

May 19, 2015 at 10:45 am

Kevin Butler says:

Curtis:

The release strategy changed after the blog was released.  The full   strategy is outlined in this video from the Developer Summit: : http://video.esri.com/watch/4231/python-for-the-arcgis-platform

May 20, 2015 at 10:29 am

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

"find me on the island"... they say ...

still looking for the 'r' stuff in the help files...

hmmm .... nothing in the showcase...

What's new in ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  

alas... buried in the depths

Integrating external programs within ModelBuilder—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III

Well at least we have a new forum in which we can do meaningful things...

SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

Dan the R stuff is at

R — ArcGIS

and it is for ArcGIS 10.3.1 and Pro 1.1

-Steve

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Steve

0 Kudos