AnsweredAssumed Answered

SciPy.ndimage and ArcGIS Tools

Question asked by tobiasli on Jul 16, 2015
Latest reply on Sep 9, 2015 by SWalbridge-esristaff

I have just discovered the scipy.ndimage.label method, which is just amazing at simple raster object detection.

I have made a script that uses this method extensively, and would like to create a script tool in an arcgis toolbox.

The problem is that I am not able to get a working install of scipy with native arcgis python.

My solution has been to install Anaconda Python in parallell with ArcGIS Python, and then make the tool run the script via the command line using the Anaconda Python passing the GetParameterAsText's as command line arguments:

os.system('C:\...\Anaconda\python.exe "C:\GIS_Scripts\...\My_script.py" "arg1" "arg2" "arg3"')

This works, but it lacks proper error propagation and messages to the tool window in ArcMap.

So, two questions:

1) Have any of you managed to use SciPy with native ArcGIS python, and if you have, can you make scipy.ndimage work? I seem to constantly be missing some module references.

2) Is there any way to decouple the native Python install, and make ArcGIS use another python executable but while still making arcpy available?

Kind regards,

Tobias

Outcomes