Change raster layer legend display

Jump to solution
07-15-2015 04:54 AM
RichMoore1
New Contributor II

My raster layer legends show the layer name and 3 boxes - Green: Band_2, Blue: Band_3 and Red:Band_1.

Is it possible just to display the layer name without the 3 boxes?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Rich - Sorry, but I don't believe there is a way to modify the appearance of the legend in that way.

If the raster layer is the only layer in your map you could disable the legend in your story map and let your text explain what the layer is.

If there are other layers in your map and you do need the legend you could hide only that raster layer in the legend by selecting Hide in legend from its layer menu in the web map. It would still be a good idea to call out the layer in the text.

Hope this is helpful!

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Rich - Sorry, but I don't believe there is a way to modify the appearance of the legend in that way.

If the raster layer is the only layer in your map you could disable the legend in your story map and let your text explain what the layer is.

If there are other layers in your map and you do need the legend you could hide only that raster layer in the legend by selecting Hide in legend from its layer menu in the web map. It would still be a good idea to call out the layer in the text.

Hope this is helpful!

Owen

Owen Evans
JamesPierce
Occasional Contributor II

Wow, sounds like a possible enhancement is needed for the next release then?  I never want to show the "Bands" in a legend, but also, rarely show rasters in the legend, so a trade-off I guess.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

James,

Thanks for the feedback. There are definitely some things we'd like to improve about the legend display. I've submitted this as an enhancement for all our templates on our internal GitHub repo and we will evaluate it for upcoming releases.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
RichMoore1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the comments.  I will take a look at referencing the imagery in the text and dropping image layers from the legend.

0 Kudos