putting data in to a new geodatabase

07-14-2015 04:12 PM
MichellIndriago
New Contributor

Hello my name is Michell Indriago. I am a student at nhti in Concord, New Hampshire. I am taking a Geographic Information Systems class, in which we use the arcgis program. I am having trouble in the chapter number 4 of the book. We problem is that I create a new geodatabase (it is set as default), and I need to transfer data to this geodatabase. I was able to transfer parkland, but i am not able to transfer block_centroids. Please I need a hand.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michell Indriago ,

I don't have access to the course data nor the book you are using and I think many of won't have that access. In case there is an error message it would help to include it literally. Can you also specify what version of ArcGIS you are using? What format is the source data in (shapefiles, featureclasses in a personal-, file- or enterprise geodatabase, other format)? What have you tried to transfer the data (this can normally be done with the Catalog window using the copy and paste method, or importing the featureclass). Are you copying to a feature dataset in the geodatabase? What coordinate system doe you have defined, etc...

There are many options to fulfill this task, and there can be many reason why it is not working for you. Please provide some more details so we can help you.

KelvinMwakomo
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michell

What Xander Bakker told you was true, you have to be specific with your question so that other members can easily understand what your going through and help you to overcome your challenge.

For what i thought i that your trying to import some feature classes into your Geodatabase which is a default Geodatabase, so what your needed to do was to right click into your geodatabase and select import feature class multiple so that you can be able to import more than one feature class at once,then add your  input features(the data you want to transfer) and the set your default geodatabase as the output geodatabase and click ok to run the tool.

Regards...!

Kelvin

0 Kudos
JamesPierce
Occasional Contributor II

You may be able to simply copy and paste the layers in Arc Catalog.

Another possible issue is that the database versions do not match.  One may be an older version or you may be looking at PGDB vs. FGDB (Personal... Vs. File...) formats.

Also try exporting to shape from the source DB and re-importing to the Target DB as a test.

Best of luck!!

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Is it possible that the Parkland data was a feature class, and the Block_centroids is a shapefile? In that case, you will need to right click the block centroids and choose export, rather than just copying it.

0 Kudos