Records from attribute table lost - General function failure

07-15-2015 08:11 AM
NikitaMorris
New Contributor

Good Day all,

I am currently creating a simple GIS system to hold cadastral records. The intent of the system is to show geographically where a survey

was done, other attribute info and an image of the final plan. Therefore I created a file geodatabase (by the way I am using ArcGIS 10

Basic) to house the attribute data. The cadastrals are shown as points by using the Make XY Event Layer tool. In the attribute table for

cadastrals I also add a jpeg image of the final plan. My problem is that when I move the map and its associated items to another computer

I am unable to open the attribute table with all the records even after I redefine the source. I get a message saying general function error. But when open the cadastrals shapefile is opened in 10.3 demo, the records show. How can I fix this problem using ArcGIS 10 Basic?

Thanks,

Nikita.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Make XY Event Layer creates a temporary point layer. Try saving it to a permanent point file.

From the help:

The output point feature layer created by this tool is temporary and will not persist after the session ends. You can export this event layer to a feature class on disk using the Copy Features,Feature to Point, or Feature Class to Feature Class tool.
0 Kudos
NikitaMorris
New Contributor

Thanks. The records would be constantly updated hence why I didn't save the temporary point file. My concern is that each time I open the data set on a computer other than mine or transfer the data to other computers.The records from the attribute table are lost even after I define the source.

0 Kudos
NikitaMorris
New Contributor

Records are lost whe I use the ArcGIS 10 Basic software but when i open the dataset in ArcGIS 10.3.1 Advanced demo, the records open. I am hoping that it is not a software issue.

0 Kudos