Will story maps one day be able to display rtmp URLs for video streaming?

Jump to solution
07-08-2015 03:48 AM
ShelbyZemken1
New Contributor III

As of know I believe only http can be displayed.

map tour rtmp.PNG

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

We don't have plan to integrate a video player inside the apps as it's quite complex to have a video player that work on every video type and every device. So we prefer to encourage the use of YouTube or Vimeo.

To include RTMP in your Tour, you could use the Video.js library, you have to create a simple html page that will link to your RTMP, host the page and link to it using the 'Other' source.

See the following

videojs/video.js · GitHub

Video.js RTMP Example Embed 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
GregoryL_Azou

We don't have plan to integrate a video player inside the apps as it's quite complex to have a video player that work on every video type and every device. So we prefer to encourage the use of YouTube or Vimeo.

To include RTMP in your Tour, you could use the Video.js library, you have to create a simple html page that will link to your RTMP, host the page and link to it using the 'Other' source.

See the following

videojs/video.js · GitHub

Video.js RTMP Example Embed 

ShelbyZemken1
New Contributor III

Thanks for your input, Gregory.

One further question, do story maps refresh the media URL every time they are opened?

I want to show several points made up of live video streams and photo streams in a story map (Map Tour in particular). In my test map, live photo streams aren't refreshing, is that on my end or is that just how story maps work?

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

You are welcome.

No unfortunately we don't have a image auto refresh feature. You could add that feature in JavaScript to the app but a solution that don't require coding is that instead of embedding an image for each point, you embed a web page that will include your image and refresh it periodically.

Note that Map Tour load images when you open the application as a user, so we have see quite a lot of user displaying fresh image Liven up your map tours using “real-time” data | ArcGIS Blog users get the latest image they open the Tour but if it change after it won't be refreshed.

Note that videos and web pages will be refreshed every time you navigate to the point.

Our other applications behave the same.

ShelbyZemken1
New Contributor III

Gregory L'Azou:

Note that Map Tour load images when you open the application as a user, so we have see quite a lot of user displaying fresh image Liven up your map tours using “real-time” data | ArcGIS Blog users get the latest image they open the Tour but if it change after it won't be refreshed.

Note that videos and web pages will be refreshed every time you navigate to the point.

I dont quite understand your point that I have in bold.

So If I manually add points with real time URLs to a story map, it will update only when the tour is opened?

i'm starting to think I should remake the map with a table with URLs and XY data instead of doing int manually.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Yes you got it if you are using images that are updated periodically, Map Tour will load them once when the app is opening but will never refresh them after. It should be easy to add a little bit of Javascript that force the refresh of images.